Q. What is the reason for discoloration of teeth in a 15 months old?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jun 27, 2016

My daughter is 15 months old. Her weight is 8.2 kg and height is 80 cm. Her food includes apple, rice, green gram, vegetables along with breast milk. But, I am not adding sugar or salt. I am giving her Ostocalcium, vitamin D and multivitamins as suggested by her pediatrician. She has got her four upper teeth and two lower teeth. Last week, I noticed that half portion of the upper teeth not covered with white and looks like enamel loss. I have attached her teeth photos for your reference. Does it need any treatment or is it common? Is it because of the vitamin supplements? Could you please suggest me the treatment and what needs to be taken care of further? Thank you.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The white discoloration (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is the demineralization of enamel on the surface of teeth. It occurs due to prolonged sticking of food items, especially mother's milk after feeding.
  • It is very simple to prevent the formation of cavity or fracture of teeth by taking care of them.
  • I suggest you to use kids brush and toothpaste at nights after feeding or just wipe the front teeth with a clean, wet cotton to prevent sticking of debris in the region.
  • If you can daily clean the area after every feeding for the one and half year, then it will not increase. Else, in some time, the teeth will get broken slowly till only root stumps remains.
  • The teeth will fall off after seven years only and so we have to take care of it. After two years make your child to clean her teeth with brush daily before sleeping.
  • Also, after every meal make her wash her mouth with water.

For further information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

I am a bit confused. Which layer has to be removed, the white layer adjacent to gums or the light yellow color layer?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• The white colored layer is the part of enamel having demineralization.
  • Follow the treatment protocol and there is no need to worry.

For further doubts consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

Have my gums receded because of placing smokeless tobacco in the same spot for years?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 32-year-old male. I have used a smokeless tobacco called Swedish Snus for going on four years now, always in the same spot. My gums have severely receded in this area. I am otherwise healthy. I recently made an appointment with a periodontist but I am terrified I may have gum can...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the images posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have to change your brushing technique as soon as possible. Brush in an up and down motion without putting too much pressure on the teeth and gums. The recession is definite...  Read Full

I have tooth pain due to broken teeth and cavities. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, What can I do for really bad pain from broken teeth, and cavities that need root canals. I am going to a dentist but what can I do in the meantime?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your chief complaint suggests broken tooth due to a carious activity which is brought by bacteria. The pain in the tooth is due to caries.  Read Full

Will using electric toothbrush make teeth even looser?

Query: Hey doctor,I have bought an electric toothbrush because a dental hygienist said he would recommend it as I have gum disease. The bleeding has stopped tremendously after regular brushing and help from the dental hygiene. My question is, because I have a few loose teeth at the bottom, will using an el...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it will because it does not have the same control as your hand will do. Not till you keep it as controlled as possible but it is a mechanical device. It can make your teeth more mobile if the tooth mobility is more than grade one (that means you have a slightly loo...  Read Full

Ask a Pedodontist Now