Q. Have my gums receded because of placing smokeless tobacco in the same spot for years?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I am a 32-year-old male. I have used a smokeless tobacco called Swedish Snus for going on four years now, always in the same spot. My gums have severely receded in this area. I am otherwise healthy. I recently made an appointment with a periodontist but I am terrified I may have gum cancer. I noticed about a week after I quit putting smokeless tobacco in this area the gums became extremely sore, and are still sore two weeks later. I do not see any lesions in this area of my mouth, but the gums look 'pickled' is the best way I can put it. I do not know if the soreness I am feeling is from the gum tissue or exposed roots in that area of my mouth.

#

I have gone through the images posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have to change your brushing technique as soon as possible.

Brush in an up and down motion without putting too much pressure on the teeth and gums.

The recession is definitely not any type of cancer. It seems to be a side effect of intense to and fro brushing.

Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. You can consult a periodontist to find out ways to regenerate or surgically stitch back the gums to its old position.

For more information consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

|