Q. Have my gums receded because of placing smokeless tobacco in the same spot for years?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Dec 30, 2017

I am a 32-year-old male. I have used a smokeless tobacco called Swedish Snus for going on four years now, always in the same spot. My gums have severely receded in this area. I am otherwise healthy. I recently made an appointment with a periodontist but I am terrified I may have gum cancer. I noticed about a week after I quit putting smokeless tobacco in this area the gums became extremely sore, and are still sore two weeks later. I do not see any lesions in this area of my mouth, but the gums look 'pickled' is the best way I can put it. I do not know if the soreness I am feeling is from the gum tissue or exposed roots in that area of my mouth.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

I have gone through the images posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have to change your brushing technique as soon as possible.

Brush in an up and down motion without putting too much pressure on the teeth and gums.

The recession is definitely not any type of cancer. It seems to be a side effect of intense to and fro brushing.

Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. You can consult a periodontist to find out ways to regenerate or surgically stitch back the gums to its old position.

For more information consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

Why is bone exposed in my gums?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a swollen, bleeding and receding gums. I tried Corsodyl mouthwash, but I want more advice. I am dreading going to the dentist. I really do not want to lose my tooth. The top bone area is currently exposed. I really need help, please.  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sore, swollen and receding gums with bleeding seem to be most probably due to an active gum infection that is causing a loss of attachment from the gum and underlying bone, making the teeth loose. This condition is called periodontitis. Using only a mouth wash will not...  Read Full

I fear that my teeth are going to fall out due to receding gums. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,I have receding gums, and they are sore as well. Two of the teeth are wobbly, and I am terrified they are going to fall out. I am only 19 years old. I brush and floss my teeth twice a day. I used to smoke. Since I have noticed my teeth issue, I quit smoking. Please help me. I am desperat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your complaint, it looks like you have deep gum infection and it is causing loss of attachment of teeth to gums making them loose. As you are a smoker, it causes the gum health to deter even faster. When there is a recession, only home remedies will not be sufficie...  Read Full

Ask a Periodontist Now