Q. There is enlarged liver in anemic and hypothyroidism patient. Is it serious?

Dr. Klerida Shehu
Published on Feb 13, 2019

I had my mother's ultrasound done today. She is a 39-year-old anemia patient admitted to the hospital. She has hypothyroidism from the last 12 years and is overweighed and obese. Her ultrasound shows 19 cm liver from the mid-clavicular line with increased echogenicity. Is this something of concern? If yes then what has to be done?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have reviewed the ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I can say that she has hepatosplenomegaly probably due to fatty liver disease. This is why to my opinion she needs to do liver enzyme tests like AST, ALT, GGT and alkaline phosphatase, blood work too. It is important to lose weight and to avoid fatty foods.

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2...  Read Full

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full

I have anemia with low ferritin level. Can it be cured with diet and supplements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 27 years and I am a female. I have anemia with a very low ferritin level 2.1 and HB is 6.5. Can it be cleared by taking diet and iron supplements? Which is a good time to take Zincofer syrup, how much ml? Please advice.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of iron deficiency anemia. I want to check your full CBC report. The investigations that are suggested in your case is peripheral smear examination, transferrin saturation, and serum TIBC (total iron binding capacity) also. You need to be...  Read Full