Q. I am getting lumps in both armpits. Are these lumps serious?

Answered by
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 22 year old female. I am getting lumps in my armpits and they are painful. I sweat a lot. I have dark underarms and it is itching too. Are these lumps something serious? Should I consult a doctor?



Welcome to

I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern.

The Probable causes:

These could be enlarged lymph nodes. They may occur when there is a source of infection in the body. Another possibility is secondarily infected fungal infection.

Treatment plan:

1. A course of oral antibiotics is required for one week. You can take Co-Amoxiclav (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg thrice daily for five days.
2. Along with that, you may take tablet Serratiopeptidase which will help to control the pain and inflammation.
3. Topical antibiotic like Fusidic acid to be applied over it twice daily for one week. After one week, we will access the condition and further treatment will depend on that.

Preventive measures:

Try to keep this area dry. You can use Aldry lotion (Aluminium chlorohydrate) overnight for the same or use an antifungal dusting powder.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after a week to a dermatologist online.--->

Hi doctor,

For me pimples occur regularly and they leave spots which take a lot of time to vanish. Sometimes, they remain for long time. I do not have too many pimples, but they occur near upper lips. What to do?



Welcome back to

  • For mild acne, you just start with Benzoyl peroxide cream applied at night time or Clindamycin during the day.
  • If it does not improve then oral antibiotics like Azithromycin or Doxycycline can get started with consent of your doctor.
  • A sebum regulating face wash, usually containing Salicylic acid will be helpful. A non-comedogenic sunscreen should be used regularly during the day.
  • For the scar marks, you may apply Kojic acid or Azelaic acid cream at night time.

Preventive measures:

1. Avoid oily, junk, starchy food.
2. Drink plenty of water daily and also avoid hair oil application.
3. You can send a picture of your face for further definitive treatment.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after three weeks to a dermatologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What medicine can treat acne scars on my upper back?

For no reasons, my upper back has formed acne in the back of shoulders and in the mid-upper back ... Of note, I had a very severe acne on the upper back and face when I was a teenager ...   Read full

How can I remove dark patches due to jock itch?

.. the skin usually heal with hyperpigmentation. This post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is tough to resolve and would take years to go completely. However, creams containing Kojic acid do help to quicken the recovery twice daily for three months. ...   Read full

How to get my acne scars removed?

I have severe acne scars on my face, back, lower back and below the neck ... How to get my acne scars removed ...  Can laser treatment do any benefit ... If at all ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.