Q. I am getting lumps in both armpits. Are these lumps serious?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

I am a 22 year old female. I am getting lumps in my armpits and they are painful. I sweat a lot. I have dark underarms and it is itching too. Are these lumps something serious? Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern.

These could be enlarged lymph nodes. They may occur when there is a source of infection in the body. Another possibility is secondarily infected fungal infection.

1. A course of oral antibiotics is required for one week. You can take Co-Amoxiclav (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg thrice daily for five days.
2. Along with that, you may take tablet Serratiopeptidase which will help to control the pain and inflammation.
3. Topical antibiotic like Fusidic acid to be applied over it twice daily for one week. After one week, we will access the condition and further treatment will depend on that.

Try to keep this area dry. You can use Aldry lotion (Aluminium chlorohydrate) overnight for the same or use an antifungal dusting powder.

Revert back after a week to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

For me pimples occur regularly and they leave spots which take a lot of time to vanish. Sometimes, they remain for long time. I do not have too many pimples, but they occur near upper lips. What to do?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• For mild acne, you just start with Benzoyl peroxide cream applied at night time or Clindamycin during the day.
  • If it does not improve then oral antibiotics like Azithromycin or Doxycycline can get started with consent of your doctor.
  • A sebum regulating face wash, usually containing Salicylic acid will be helpful. A non-comedogenic sunscreen should be used regularly during the day.
  • For the scar marks, you may apply Kojic acid or Azelaic acid cream at night time.

1. Avoid oily, junk, starchy food.
2. Drink plenty of water daily and also avoid hair oil application.
3. You can send a picture of your face for further definitive treatment.

Revert back after three weeks to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Will Kojivit cream and Clearmin soap help improve my skin tone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. My face tone looks uneven and very dull. Can I use Kojivit gel to improve my skin tone along with clearmin soap? Is clearmin soap good? Or please suggest any other soap.  Read Full »

Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?

Query: Hi doctor, For around nine weeks now, I have had a low grade fever and that persists. Also, I feel a little upper throat fullness and mild sinus congestion. I have been in and out of primary care clinics many times looking for help.  I had two chest x-rays and they were clear. I also had blood test...  Read Full »

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »