Q. I have pain behind my right testicle and diagnosed with epididymitis. Do I need surgery?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

Recently, I was diagnosed with epididymitis. I have pain behind my right testicle. I took Doxycycline for ten days and I stopped it. After that, I took Ciprofloxacin for five days. I do not have changes so far and I am worried. Do I need surgery to remove my epididymis?

#

Epididymoorchitis is an inflammatory condition and it usually settles down by taking antibiotics. The response depends on the causative organism. Usually, culture gives a clear picture of the type of organism and shows the type of antibiotics that works efficiently against the problem. After starting antibiotics, culture is no more accurate. The ultrasound helps in the diagnosis of epi-didymo orchitis in the second point. If you have done any previous ultrasound and culture, please share it. If not, please do an ultrasound and it helps to diagnose whether there is any pus collection and it needs surgery.

You have taken Doxycycline and Ciprofloxacin. It has not helped you. I suggest you take Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) thrice daily for two weeks and Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for a week. Please share the ultrasound report as soon as possible. Epididymitis does not need surgery if you do not have pus inside or there are no other abnormalities in the scrotum like torsion or tumor. All these can be diagnosed using ultrasound.

I have planned to do an ultrasound tomorrow. I still have nine days to complete the antibiotics that I am taking now.

#

Yes, it is right. You have started taking Ciprofloxacin and please continue taking it for nine days. Please add Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for seven days to it to have better results. Once you have done the ultrasound, please share it and I can advise you further.

|