Q. My left testicle is swollen for four days despite taking the Chymotrypsin tablet. Why?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My left testicle is slightly swollen. For four days, I am feeling slight pain. I asked the general doctor, he gave me Trypsin plus Chymotrypsin tablet twice a day, Diclofenac 50 mg tablet twice a day, and Pantoprazole 40 mg twice a day before meal. I am using scrotal support to reduce the pain.

Two years ago, I had the same situation in my right testicle with a slight fever. I was suggested to get admitted. Later that, I was cured with antibiotics (Doxycycline 100 mg, Chymoral forte, Paracetamol IV injection, Augmentin) in hospital. Now, after two years again left testicle got slightly swollen. I have no fever but pain. Two years ago lab test showed epididymo orchitis through MRI. Now no lab test was performed.

Kindly help me.

#

It appears recurrent epididymo-orchitis. Please get a urine culture sensitivity done and get back to me. Meanwhile, I suggest you start tablet Levoflox (Levofloxacin) 750 mg once in night after food for five days. You can continue the rest of the medications till your culture report is available. Please revert back once you get your culture report.

I hope this was helpful.

A urine culture sensitivity test was done, and the report is attached. I have some relief now, swelling slightly reduced. But swelling is not totally gone. Pain is also reduced. Please help me.

#

As the culture has revealed no growth, I suggest you continue tablet Levoflox 750 mg once a day for another seven days, add capsule Niftran (Nitrofurantoin) 100 mg once a day after food in the night for one month. Soft tissue swelling takes months to reduce. Many times, it never returns to its original size. Hence size is not a matter of worry.

After four weeks, we need to rule out anatomical abnormalities too. Kindly get back to me after four weeks.

I need the following investigations after four weeks:

1) USG (ultrasonography) abdomen and pelvis with PVR (post-void residual urine test).

2) Urine for AFB (acid-fast bacilli), to be collected the first-morning sample in a container provided by the lab, which does this. You need to collect for three consecutive days and get tested for three consecutive days.

Kindly get back to me with the report for further assistance.

|