Q. Are gel forms more effective than injections for erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

I have low libido problem. As a result of which I am suffering from ED since two years. I am 38 years old, married and having one daughter aged 6 years. I had some issue of erectile dysfunction at 32 years, but it got sorted by itself. I checked my testosterone and it was 295 ng/dL and 270 ng/dL (normal laboratory values above 300 ng/dL) tested at different laboratories a year back. My prolactin level is 4.36 (normal ranges between 1.61 and 18.77). Since two years I have tried ED drugs, but no significant results. I do have some symptoms like delayed ejaculation and baldness from the age of 22. I tried Testoviron depot 250 which gave very good results, but stopped as I was worried of side effects. Kindly advice whether I am a fit candidate for TRT. Are gel forms a better alternative and effective? I feel taking injection may become difficult. Kindly guide.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• Yes, your symptoms are due to testosterone deficiency. And you do need testosterone supplement.
  • Well, Depot injection was actually a good option. But, it comes with side effects. Still it is a good option as you need to take injection just once in one or two months.
  • Testosterone gel is also a good option, but it should be applied daily and cost when compared to injection is high. But, the risk of side effect is less with gel.
  • In addition, I recommend you to get tested for diabetes, serum vitamin D levels and get scrotal ultrasound scan done.

Revert back after the tests to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thanks for your immediate response. I am a non-diabetic. I will get the serum vitamin D and scrotal examination soon. Can you please give me a prescription for testosterone gel if the side effects are less? Also, let me know the routine test that I need to do, if I have to continue with TRT throughout my future. Also, let me know the dosage of the gel. Thank you.

Dr. Divakara P

#

• You can use Androgel (testosterone gel). It comes in a daily use sachet to be applied anywhere on the body. Within few minutes of application, the site should not come in contact with females or children.
  • Side effects with injections are there will be increase in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and increased risk of heart problems. But, it will not happen in every one.
  • So, get your blood pressure checked once in a month and blood cholesterol checked for every six months (lipid profile). If there is a symptom of chest pain then get 2D echo (two-dimensional echocardiogram) done. Otherwise, injections can also be continued.

Thank you doctor.

Androgel is unvailable. Can Cernos be used instead? Also, please see if you can suggest a gel as well as injection that can be taken. Please guide.

Dr. Divakara P

#

• Yes, Cernos gel can be used. Ask for 1% gel.
  • I would suggest you to apply Cernos gel 1% over thigh or back once daily.
  • If you wish to opt for injection, take injection Testosterone cypionate 200 mg IM once a month.

For further doubts consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Please suggest a medicine, which can cure erection problems and low libido.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who has schizophrenia and depression from the last 12 years. My current problem is low libido and erection-related issues. I do not wish to take any medicine like Viagra or other similar medicines. Please suggest a medicine which can cure my problem. I also need...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description, there are following things which are responsible for decreased libido and erection problem: Obesity. Diabetes. High blood pressure and medications. Low testosterone level. I suggest the follow...  Read Full

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your total cholesterol target should be 150. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) should be below 100 and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in range of 50 to 60. Your blood sugar is normal. Right now you do not seem to have heart condition and your slightly raised blood pressure is...  Read Full

Why am I having chest pain even though lipid profile and echo are normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from chest pain in the left side from 4 to 5 days, but my lipid profile and 2D echocardiography both reports are normal. What to do? What is the reason of chest pain?  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic reflux of stomach acids into your esophagus can irritate your esophagus. In severe cases, it can cause dysphagia. Scar tissue can develop in your esophagus. The scar tissue can narrow your esophagus. This is known as an esophageal stricture. In some cases, dysph...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now