Q. Are gel forms more effective than injections for erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

I have low libido problem. As a result of which I am suffering from ED since two years. I am 38 years old, married and having one daughter aged 6 years. I had some issue of erectile dysfunction at 32 years, but it got sorted by itself. I checked my testosterone and it was 295 ng/dL and 270 ng/dL (normal laboratory values above 300 ng/dL) tested at different laboratories a year back. My prolactin level is 4.36 (normal ranges between 1.61 and 18.77). Since two years I have tried ED drugs, but no significant results. I do have some symptoms like delayed ejaculation and baldness from the age of 22. I tried Testoviron depot 250 which gave very good results, but stopped as I was worried of side effects. Kindly advice whether I am a fit candidate for TRT. Are gel forms a better alternative and effective? I feel taking injection may become difficult. Kindly guide.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• Yes, your symptoms are due to testosterone deficiency. And you do need testosterone supplement.
  • Well, Depot injection was actually a good option. But, it comes with side effects. Still it is a good option as you need to take injection just once in one or two months.
  • Testosterone gel is also a good option, but it should be applied daily and cost when compared to injection is high. But, the risk of side effect is less with gel.
  • In addition, I recommend you to get tested for diabetes, serum vitamin D levels and get scrotal ultrasound scan done.

Revert back after the tests to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Thanks for your immediate response. I am a non-diabetic. I will get the serum vitamin D and scrotal examination soon. Can you please give me a prescription for testosterone gel if the side effects are less? Also, let me know the routine test that I need to do, if I have to continue with TRT throughout my future. Also, let me know the dosage of the gel. Thank you.

Dr. Divakara P

#

• You can use Androgel (testosterone gel). It comes in a daily use sachet to be applied anywhere on the body. Within few minutes of application, the site should not come in contact with females or children.
  • Side effects with injections are there will be increase in cholesterol levels, blood pressure and increased risk of heart problems. But, it will not happen in every one.
  • So, get your blood pressure checked once in a month and blood cholesterol checked for every six months (lipid profile). If there is a symptom of chest pain then get 2D echo (two-dimensional echocardiogram) done. Otherwise, injections can also be continued.

| 

Thank you doctor.

Androgel is unvailable. Can Cernos be used instead? Also, please see if you can suggest a gel as well as injection that can be taken. Please guide.

Dr. Divakara P

#

• Yes, Cernos gel can be used. Ask for 1% gel.
  • I would suggest you to apply Cernos gel 1% over thigh or back once daily.
  • If you wish to opt for injection, take injection Testosterone cypionate 200 mg IM once a month.

For further doubts consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Please suggest a medicine, which can cure erection problems and low libido.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old male, who has schizophrenia and depression from the last 12 years. My current problem is low libido and erection-related issues. I do not wish to take any medicine like Viagra or other similar medicines. Please suggest a medicine which can cure my problem. I also need...  Read Full »

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full »

Why am I having chest pain even though lipid profile and echo are normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from chest pain in the left side from 4 to 5 days, but my lipid profile and 2D echocardiography both reports are normal. What to do? What is the reason of chest pain?  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now