Q. I rarely get erection and cannot involve in intercourse. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 03, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 43 years old. I am known type 1 diabetic. I do masturbation regularly. In the last two years, I observed that I do not get an erection at all. Even if I get after a lot of effort, I cannot involve in intercourse. What to do?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

  • There is some conflicting information, which I need to make it clear. You said you masturbate regularly and no erection for last two years. Do you mean that you have an erection for masturbation, but not for intercourse?
  • Also, I like to know about early morning erections. Do you get them? If yes, then what is the frequency and intensity of them?
  • It is also important to furnish substance abuse information. Provide details of any substance use.
  • Please also provide more details about your diabetes like duration, current HbA1c and blood glucose level along with treatment.

Revert with more details to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Hi doctor,

I do not get an erection in the morning. I get erection rarely, and still, I have the habit of masturbating. My current HbA1c is 6.1. I take Azulix 1 Mf one tablet and Insulin Lantus 20 units in the morning and Janumet 50/500 one tablet in the morning and one at night.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • In case, the diabetes is going on for decades; then the erectile dysfunction can be due to the effect of diabetes on blood vessels and nerves supplying your penis.
  • If you have a short duration of diabetes, then we need to search for additional causes such as cholesterol, blood pressure, smoking, stress and alcohol among others.
  • I request you to undergo the following tests for further assessment. Complete blood count, blood sugar (fasting), renal profile, liver function tests, lipid profile, T3, T4 and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), serum testosterone, serum prolactin and penile doppler study.

Revert with the reports to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can I have testosterone blockers to prevent testosterone production?

.. me make sure that I have understood your query. Basically you are a male and want to remain as a male but you need to avoid the manly transition and retain your feminine look. Please correct me if I am wrong. Well, there are many ways to do that. ...   Read full

Diabetes and Eyes

It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia ...   Read full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body ... Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus:...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.