Q. I suffer from erectile dysfunction. Can I take Trazodone with Fluoxetine and Cialis?

Dr. Shahil Khant

I suffer from psychogenic erectile dysfunction, and I take Fluoxetine for depression from the past 11 years. Recently, I took Trazodone for this problem, but I had to wean myself off Fluoxetine completely. I took Trazodone for two weeks, and I started getting full erections, but my depression came back with a vengeance. And I started having dangerous side effects of Trazodone, so I stopped taking it and went back to Fluoxetine. I took Cialis for a week or two, and I was able to get full erections. But this week, again I am not getting full erections, and my mood is very distressing. I was fine for a while after taking 5 mg of Cialis. What should I do? Will Trazodone work for erections while I take Fluoxetine and Cialis? Will it give a boost to get hard erections like before? I just do not understand, everything was fine, but it feels like my brain pattern changes often. I feel very aroused for a while, and then I do not. Can you please give me some advice?

Do you have a question on Erectile Dysfunction or Depression?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shahil Khant

MBBS., M.S SURGERY., DNB UROLOGY
Andrology General Surgery Urology

I have gone through your history.

• Based on your history, your erectile dysfunction is due to side effects of Fluoxetine. Erection problem can be psychological or organic (problem with blood supply of the penis) or drug-induced.
  • Cialis (Tadalafil) will help if you have any problem with blood supply of the penis, which is not the case with you. You should not take Fluoxetine with Trazodone and Cialis.
  • I suggest you try taking Trazodone without Fluoxetine. If possible, consult your psychiatrist and ask him to modify the medicines for you. I think Cialis will not help at this stage.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Can Fluoxetine cause disturbed sleep?
Query: Hi doctor, I am very sad, surrounded by negative thoughts and anxiety. I have taken Fluoxetine (Fludac 20) for 6 weeks. Now I am fine, but I wake up early in the morning around 3.30 AM. Hence having disturbed sleep in the morning. My doctor changed medicine to Flunil 40. I think this dose is not req...  Read Full »
Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluoxetine is known to cause significant insomnia in many patients as it is an activating drug. Being an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) Fluoxetine causes sexual dysfunction. Both these side effects can be treated by taking tablet Trazodone (brand name ...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression
Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression.  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress ...  Read Article »

Can having Fluoxetine with Venlafaxine lift depression?
Query: Hello doctor, Will having 20 mg Fluoxetine added to my existing 375 mg of Venlafaxine help to lift my depression? I had recurring depression since 17 and have been on Venlafaxine for 12 years.  Read Full »
Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Venlafaxine is a very good anti-depressant. It has given you excellent results for 12 years but if the problem is increasing then there might be some issues like hormonal imbalance, psychosocial problems, substance abuse, etc. We need details on that. At times, addre...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now