Q. What are the erectile dysfunction symptoms in a diabetic?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

This is regarding a male, 27 years. He is suffering from type 1 diabetes from the age of 5 years. He is having an erection but is unable to sustain it during the intercourse. Firstly, he is not sure if he is suffering from ED or is it just anxiety. Are there any tests to be sure of ED? Secondly, if it is diagnosed to be ED (which most probably can be), can this be cured? How will his sexual life be? If it is curable, can it be cured with natural methods or medicine or surgery? If it cannot be cured, is there an alternative for him to have a happy sexual life?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your symptoms and I would like to know a few more details to answer your query better. Is he able to achieve an erection sufficient for vaginal penetration during intercourse? Is the loss of erection due to early ejaculation or happens without ejaculation?

The mechanism of erection can be tested by a penile doppler study during which the response to medication can also be tested. If he is able to achieve an erection sufficient for vaginal penetration, then the cause is more likely to be either psychological or just early ejaculation. A detailed clinical examination is also required to make sure that there are no other abnormalities that can affect full erection. At this age, the cause is most likely anxiety, but given his history of diabetes, a full evaluation is necessary to rule or other causes. The treatment is based on his most predominant concerns, though it cannot be completely cured, it can definitely be managed to get a normal sexual life.

|