iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersUrologyerectile dysfunctionWhat tests can be done for erectile dysfunction in a diabetic?

What are the erectile dysfunction symptoms in a diabetic?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 19, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 14, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

This is regarding a male, 27 years. He is suffering from type 1 diabetes from the age of 5 years. He is having an erection but is unable to sustain it during the intercourse. Firstly, he is not sure if he is suffering from ED or is it just anxiety. Are there any tests to be sure of ED? Secondly, if it is diagnosed to be ED (which most probably can be), can this be cured? How will his sexual life be? If it is curable, can it be cured with natural methods or medicine or surgery? If it cannot be cured, is there an alternative for him to have a happy sexual life?

Answered by Dr. Karthik Rajan


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your symptoms and I would like to know a few more details to answer your query better. Is he able to achieve an erection sufficient for vaginal penetration during intercourse? Is the loss of erection due to early ejaculation or happens without ejaculation? The mechanism of erection can be tested by a penile doppler study during which the response to medication can also be tested. If he is able to achieve an erection sufficient for vaginal penetration, then the cause is more likely to be either psychological or just early ejaculation. A detailed clinical examination is also required to make sure that there are no other abnormalities that can affect full erection. At this age, the cause is most likely anxiety, but given his history of diabetes, a full evaluation is necessary to rule or other causes. The treatment is based on his most predominant concerns, though it cannot be completely cured, it can definitely be managed to get a normal sexual life.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Dr. Karthik Rajan


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy