Q. What are the erectile dysfunction symptoms in a diabetic?

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Oct 12, 2018

This is regarding a male, 27 years. He is suffering from type 1 diabetes from the age of 5 years. He is having an erection but is unable to sustain it during the intercourse. Firstly, he is not sure if he is suffering from ED or is it just anxiety. Are there any tests to be sure of ED? Secondly, if it is diagnosed to be ED (which most probably can be), can this be cured? How will his sexual life be? If it is curable, can it be cured with natural methods or medicine or surgery? If it cannot be cured, is there an alternative for him to have a happy sexual life?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your symptoms and I would like to know a few more details to answer your query better. Is he able to achieve an erection sufficient for vaginal penetration during intercourse? Is the loss of erection due to early ejaculation or happens without ejaculation?

The mechanism of erection can be tested by a penile doppler study during which the response to medication can also be tested. If he is able to achieve an erection sufficient for vaginal penetration, then the cause is more likely to be either psychological or just early ejaculation. A detailed clinical examination is also required to make sure that there are no other abnormalities that can affect full erection. At this age, the cause is most likely anxiety, but given his history of diabetes, a full evaluation is necessary to rule or other causes. The treatment is based on his most predominant concerns, though it cannot be completely cured, it can definitely be managed to get a normal sexual life.

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 72-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 6 inches and a weight of 78 kg. I have been on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Amloz 5 mg for two years for hypothyroidism. I am feeling fatigued and have an intense appetite. I have lost fertility for the last one year. My ESR value is 41. I also ...  Read Full »