Q. Why can I maintain an erection only during oral sex?

Dr. Raveendran Sr
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2021

I want to know whether I have erectile dysfunction. I have a difficulty in getting an erection during sex. Recently, I stopped watching porn and masturbation as it can affect erection. It has been 90 days of stopping masturbation as I want to restore my erection. During oral sex, I am able to get an erection. But during regular sex, it does not work. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. There are various reasons to have erectile dysfunction. The causes are stress due to work or family-related issues or night duties, depression, varicocele, fear of failure, low self-esteem, homosexuality, religious constraints, smoking, and alcohol drinking. Fear of failure occurs when you have a single episode of ED (erectile dysfunction) that can make you think that you will end up with ED. The other causes are long-term illness such as cardiac disease, thyroid disease, kidney disease, any other disease where long-term medication is taken, negative attitude towards your partner, hormonal problems like thyroid and low testosterone, long-term drug usage, diabetes, and hypertension.

You can do doppler penis, USG (ultrasound) pelvis and scrotum, blood pressure, RBS (random blood sugar), free T3 (triiodothyronine), T4 (thyroxine), testosterone, and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). You can do regular exercise and take proper diet. You can do some exercises such as kegel, glute bridge, reclined butterfly pose, lying leg raise, plank, push-up, squat, hip flexor lunge, swimming, running, or a fast walk for five minutes and yoga. You can eat a strawberry, apple, avocado, sweet potato, sesame seeds, almonds, garlic, and chocolates. For having a temporary solution, you can take tablet Mildfil 5 mg (Tadalafil) twice a day.

|