Q. Kindly advise regarding estradiol levels in a healthy woman.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

My wife has a normal regular menstrual cycle and her age is 35. I am attaching the estradiol (E2) hormone report of my wife. The blood serum sample was taken on the 23rd day of her menstrual cycle. The estradiol (E2) level is 179.48 pg/mL. We have been married since 3 years and have a 2 year old son. Actually, she has faced the problem of vaginal dryness lately. As it could be due to lower levels of estradiol or perimenopausal symptoms, so we got the estradiol level check done. Although, the report has a reference range, we do not know if this level of the corresponding day is optimal or not. Please advice on this. Kindly let us know regarding the estradiol levels in a healthy woman.

#

There are two major types of estrogen, the female sex hormone. They are estradiol and estrone.

In younger woman, the first one is in abundant quantity and the second one is in less. And near menopause, the level just reverses. It means there is more production of estrone at menopause.

The normal estradiol level in the second half in perimenopausal age varies between 39 to 300 pg/mL and it varies from different times of cycle. A level below 30 is definitely about menopause. Now, her level is within normal limit.

Vaginal dryness is quite common due to the aging process as well as use of contraceptive pills.

I suggest you to measure the level of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) to determine her menopausal status.

However, at this estradiol level, she should not be advised for hormone replacement now. You may be benefited by the application of some gel or cream during intercourse.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|