Q. I have ear block due to cold. Please help.

Published on Jul 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2018

I am taking antibiotics for my bad cold. My nasal passages and mucus are getting better. But, my left ear in which I had ear infection is still clogged. It has been clogged for four days and is really hard to hear through. I can pop my ear but then it goes back to clogged shortly after. Please help.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The ear block is due to eustachian tube block that occurs during cold or upper respiratory tract infection. Due to the block middle ear ventilation and drainage are hampered. This causes the ear block feeling.You may follow these suggestions. Continue the antibiotics for full course, preferably a seven day course. Take some anti-inflammatory tablets like trypsin-chymotrypsin combination one tablet twice daily before meals for five days.

Put nasal decongestant drops (Xylometazoline and Oxymetazoline drops), two drops in left nostril while lying flat on bed with head tilted 45 degree to left side. Put the drops and rest for 10 minutes follow it by steam inhalation.

Do not pop the ear till the cold and upper respiratory tract infection is completely cured because when you pop now you are pushing the same infection further up into the ears.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What is the cause of ear pain with cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male, and I have pain in the ear from today afternoon. I do not have any liquid discharge from the ear, but the pain is increasing with passing time. At night, the pain is very intense.I can hear all voices clearly, but my ear is paining a lot. I do not understand the r...  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain is probably due to a middle ear infection with Eustachian tube blockage. Did you suffer from any nasal congestion or throat infection in the recent past? I suggest taking Paracetamol for pain and follow-up with the required information, so that I can sugg...  Read Full

What is causing recurrent pain behind my ear lobes?

Query: Hello doctor, For almost a week now I have had recurring random pain just behind both of my ear lobes. It has been almost three weeks since I stopped Lyrica, Pregabalin completely for back pain. For the last week I have been experiencing something different which can be best described as random pre...  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain may be due to mastoiditis seen in chronic allergy or middle ear infection or eustachian tube block patients. Get it done CT brain or X-ray of the mastoid. Avoid cool drinks and freeze water. Use water vapor inhalation and salt water gargling thrice a day for fiv...  Read Full

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need a proper evaluation with audiogram and impedance to prevent recurrence. I suggest you tablet Allercet L (Levocetirizine) one at night with Nasivion nasal drops two drops twice daily for five days. Please review with reports. Revert with reports to an ENT otolary...  Read Full