Q. I have ear block due to cold. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2018

I am taking antibiotics for my bad cold. My nasal passages and mucus are getting better. But, my left ear in which I had ear infection is still clogged. It has been clogged for four days and is really hard to hear through. I can pop my ear but then it goes back to clogged shortly after. Please help.

#

The ear block is due to eustachian tube block that occurs during cold or upper respiratory tract infection. Due to the block middle ear ventilation and drainage are hampered. This causes the ear block feeling.You may follow these suggestions. Continue the antibiotics for full course, preferably a seven day course. Take some anti-inflammatory tablets like trypsin-chymotrypsin combination one tablet twice daily before meals for five days.

Put nasal decongestant drops (Xylometazoline and Oxymetazoline drops), two drops in left nostril while lying flat on bed with head tilted 45 degree to left side. Put the drops and rest for 10 minutes follow it by steam inhalation.

Do not pop the ear till the cold and upper respiratory tract infection is completely cured because when you pop now you are pushing the same infection further up into the ears.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|