Q. I am having eustachian tube dysfunction. What is the role of allergy in it?

Dr. Alok Rathi
Published on Oct 10, 2019

Could you please explain me the role of allergies in the function of the eustachian tube and the state of the middle ear chamber? As potential effectiveness of allergy happens while treating a chronic case of eustachian tube dysfunction, mild approaches to treat this proved ineffective.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

Eustachian tube (ET) opening allows the passage of air into the middle ear. The middle ear is a chamber that has to maintain a certain volume of air in it for normal hearing function. For the air to go away from the middle ear, it requires further air flow from the eustachian tube.

Due to various metabolic activities, there is always a negative balance of air in the middle ear due to air absorption by blood vessels.

As for as eustachian tube is concerned, its opening is in the throat, and it is guarded by muscles and cartilages. Whenever any inflammation occurs in the throat or behind the nose, the mucosal covering of the ET gets thickened. Allergy can also cause mucosal inflammation and obstruction of ET.

The reversal of ET function depends on the success rate of it.

My right sinus and ear are always full with sore throat. What is the problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a sore throat. My right sinus and ear are always full. The sore is behind my right tonsil.  Read Full >>

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Your right sinus is full which indicates that you are suffering from right-sided sinusitis. It will create a post nasal drip and eustachian tube dysfunction. Therefore, a sore throat and a clogged ear are likely to develop. It will be better t...  Read Full

Why do I have clicking and high-pitched whine after I was subjected to loud noise?

Query: Hello doctor, I was subjected to a loud noise in my left ear. Since then, I have had a high pitch whine and my ear clicks. It seems as if I can contract a muscle in my ear and force it to click and then sometimes it seems to happen on its own. It happens more often than not, with brief episodes whe...  Read Full >>

Dr. S Nishanth

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem could be diagnosed following a simple audiological evaluation with tests called pure tone audiometry and impedance audiometry to determine any hearing loss and eustachian tube dysfunction that you might be having. Treatment will depend on the result of ...  Read Full

I feel pressure inside my ear. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old female and 160 pounds and at a height of 5’6". I have been having a problem with my left ear. I woke up one morning and felt that it was clogged and made the mistake of using a Q-tip which resulted in my being unable to pop my ear. That was over a week ago. I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Possibilities are impacted wax, ear canal infection, middle ear infection, eustachian tube catarrh. Unless one sees inside the ear using an otoscope or endoscope it is difficult to diagnose. However, a course of antibiotic with decongestant and keeping ears dry till you...  Read Full