Q. I suffer from congested sinus, tonsillolith, ear pain and bad odor for long period. what could be the cause?

Dr. Prasun Mishra
Published on Nov 06, 2019

I am a 25-year-old female. I am experiencing the following symptoms:

Congested sinuses for about three years. I am on Fluticasone Propionate for this purpose (two sprays, twice a day), swollen tonsils for about one and a half years, tonsilolliths sizing from about 1-2 mm for about one and a half years, consistent sore throat (dry, feels swollen and difficult to swallow) for about four to five months, ear ache (particularly in my left ear) for about four to five months, bad breath for about one to two years. It is getting worse but I do brush and floss regularly. I am consulting the dentist every six months, and have tried mouth wash to resolve the issue, but the problem seems to come from the back of my throat and cannot be resolved.

Consulted a doctor about one month ago for these symptoms and she gave Omeprazole 40 mg for nausea and heartburn. She mentioned that I have an eustachian tube dysfunction, which combined with my sinus issue and cause earache. She prescribed Fluticasone Propionate two sprays twice a day. My sore throat and earache have not gone away, I realized that the doctor did not check my throat. Can you please review the picture of my tonsils and let me know the cause of this discomfort?

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have read your symptoms in detail and also saw the picture that you have sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

We need to understand that the nose and throat are connected to the ear by eustachian tube. In your case tonsils are enlarged and have deep crypts which cause repeated tonsillolith and bad mouth odor. The congestion in sinuses leads to features of fluid in the ear which leads to pain and sometimes blocked sensation.

My advice is:

1) If tonsillolith has been for long and repeated mouthwash does not take care of them then it is wise to undergo tonsillectomy.

2) As of now, your throat shows congestion as well so you will need a course of antibiotics like tablet Amoxyclav (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg twice a day after food for five days.

3) Your ear ache can be explained due to the recurrent sinus and throat infection that you are suffering. Once both are treated, your ear will be cured. Meanwhile, you will need Paracetamol and decongestant combination twice a day, and steam inhalation twice a day.

4) Regarding the sinus issue, Fluticasone spray will be effective if minimal tissue is present.

For proper diagnosis, I will need a CT (computed tomography) scan of PNS (paranasal sinus), axial and coronal view. Based on its report it can be decided whether you need any endoscopic sinus surgery for the same.

Does a small tonsil stone require surgery or will it go away on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with a tonsil stone. I have typical symptoms due to tonsil stone along with slight ear pain since the last four to five days. I got checked yesterday and was given an antibiotic and betadine to gargle. It is small in size as said by the doctor. Will it go away or do I h...  Read Full >>

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You have chronic tonsillitis with tonsillolith (stone in tonsil). The curative treatment for this problem is surgery (tonsillectomy). Other conservative treatments may give you a temporary relief, but the¬†condition usually recurs after conse...  Read Full

Why do I have clicking and high-pitched whine after I was subjected to loud noise?

Query: Hello doctor, I was subjected to a loud noise in my left ear. Since then, I have had a high pitch whine and my ear clicks. It seems as if I can contract a muscle in my ear and force it to click and then sometimes it seems to happen on its own. It happens more often than not, with brief episodes whe...  Read Full >>

Dr. S Nishanth

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem could be diagnosed following a simple audiological evaluation with tests called pure tone audiometry and impedance audiometry to determine any hearing loss and eustachian tube dysfunction that you might be having. Treatment will depend on the result of ...  Read Full

How can bad breath be stopped and prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing a problem with bad smell from mouth. I have faced this problem six to eight months before after my accident and I took heavy-dose antibiotics. I have shown to a dentist and I have cleared all my tooth problems. After that also, I am facing this bad smell. I am taking Omepr...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from halitosis and this requires a proper dental evaluation. If that is cleared then you might be having a gastroesophageal reflux disease. You need to be started on a combination of Rabeprazole and Domperidone once daily. Do Listerine gargl...  Read Full