Q. How to improve vision with eye floaters?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2020

My grandmother is 65 years old. She has a problem with eye flashes for four years. She complaints of getting lights in her eyes in various shapes like stars, sparks, and pictures of various colors. She is left with only 5% eyesight. Please recommend the best medicine and eye drops for this problem of eye flashes.

She is currently using ayurvedic eye drops. She underwent laser treatment.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Flashes are usually due to retinal problems like retinal tears, or detachment. Floaters in diabetics can be due to blood in the vitreous. These have to be treated with lasers, retinal surgeries and/or intravitreal Avastin injections. As she is left with only 5% of vision these are the only options. Strict control of diabetes is a must.

Please give the history of any eye surgeries, past eye treatments, present vision in both eyes. Kindly send pictures of old records for more details.

| 

My grandmother had laser treatment three years before, but after the laser treatment flashes increased. Doctors said there is no eye drops for eye flashes. Please tell the best eye drop for eye flashes even if any eye drop is available in other countries I will get it through the order. My grandmother says that if flashes of light are removed then she will be able to see clearly. Please help.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

It is true that there is no treatment for flashes. Possible causes have to be treated. Person affected should learn to ignore these flashes, this will slowly get better with time. Please share the pictures of old records.

| 

My eyes get red when I stop eye drops after a retinal detachment surgery. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a retinal detachment surgery 7.5 months back with silicon oil. Four months back silicon oil was removed and at the same time cataract surgery was also done. This was my right eye. The vision in the eye is 6/9 with glasses in the operated eye and 6/6 in the other one. Since ...  Read Full »

How common is it to have a -12 eyesight in a 19 year old?

Query: Hello doctor, I am only 19. I am -12.00 in both the eyes. It is even higher than my mom's. Is this common, and is it very high? I saw the eye doctor and he said my eyes were healthy but the high prescription is worrying. I do not believe I see anything different other than some floaters when I turn...  Read Full »

I have sudden blurring of vision on one eye. Is it due to retinal detachment?

Query: Hello doctor, My vision was crystal clear this morning. I just woke up from a nap, and the vision in my left eye is blurry. It has not cleared up in the past half an hour. Twice over the years, this has happened, and it normalized over a few hours, but I am in a jungle now. So, I would like to err ...  Read Full »