Q. I experience streaks of light with dark and gray shadow in peripheral vision. What it is?

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

I began to see streaks of light across my vision in the dark and realized I have a gray shadow in the left peripheral vision of my right eye since yesterday evening. I have been spending time on my laptop or phone for more than 10 hours a day and sometimes, I watch the screens in the dark. I slept for 12 hours and still seem to have the shadow area. It disappears if I look directly at it. Please tell me what to do.

#

Using a computer for a long time causes dry eye syndrome due to decreased blink rate. Take frequent breaks and look at far objects as the eyes are strained looking at close object for a long time. Keep the brightness of the system to minimal. Use tear drops twice a day along with antiglare glasses.

About the peripheral shadows, there is a jelly-like substance in the eye called vitreous and as age progresses it starts to liquify and you start seeing floaters. You should go to an ophthalmologist immediately in case if there is an increase in the number of these floaters or if you are seeing flashes of light. Because these are the signs of retinal detachment. Get your retina checked once the lockdown is over.

There is one single shadow in the same spot. Streaks of light were also visible on only two different occasions since yesterday. Is it urgent for me to see an opthalmologist? Any other symptoms of retinal detachment I should be looking out for?

#

It is just for safety to check the retina. Floaters and flashes are the main symptoms of retinal detachment. If it does not reduce it is better to get it tested.

It could be also due to overstress on your eyes. Try to reduce screen time. Even if you want to watch something on the TV switch on the lights and watch. Do not watch in the dark.

|