Q. I had a bad reaction to a face hair removal cream. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2021

I am a 21 year old female, who weighs 56 kg and I am 164 cm tall. I have had a bad reaction to cream that I used on my face. The cream is a hair removal cream designed to be used on your face. I did a patch test on my arm (as instructed in the product instructions) and had no reactions after 24 hours, so I proceeded to use it on my face. It tells you to leave it on for 3 to 10 minutes (not exceeding 10 minutes). I checked after three minutes and decided to leave it on for a further 30 seconds, as I could not see that it was doing anything. My face started to feel like it was burning, and I could see small red dots forming on my face. I carefully removed the product and saw that the red dots were bleeding. The product was actually removing smalls chunks of my skin. The areas where I applied the cream were left red raw. I made sure my face was completely rid of the product and applied ice, soothing creams, and coconut oil. The redness went down after few hours, the pain continued until I went to sleep (but has gone down a lot since then), but the red marks remain. I do not have sensitive skin, and I have never had a reaction like this in the past. Can you please confirm, from the pictures attached, that the product has caused these reactions? What can I do to help these wounds on my face to heal properly?

#

I have read your concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It seems you have developed irritant contact dermatitis to the hair removal cream.
  • I suggest you try using Fucibet cream (combination of Betamethasone and Fusidic acid), twice daily for five days. And try taking tablet Levocetirizine, once daily for the same duration, after consulting your general physician or nearby dermatologist.
  • Do not use this hair removal cream in future.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|