Q. My MRI shows fatty liver due to prolonged use of Methamphetamine. Kindly help me.

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I was using Methamphetamine for several years. I went to a doctor and had an MRI to find out I have fatty liver, and it is enlarged. I did not have signs of scarring or anything else. I stopped using and started taking care of myself for two or three weeks. Now I went back in, and they did a blood test. My liver enzyme levels are lowering, but I have slight pain that seems to be reducing. But I want to know, can this be reversed? Can I live a long normal life with continued diet, exercise, and abstinence from drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Methamphetamine is indeed toxic to the liver. Fatty liver is the initial response of the liver to the insult caused. If it is not controlled, then it can progress to steatosis and eventually cirrhosis (scarring).

The good news is that the regenerative capacity of the liver is extremely good, and yes, if you can abstain from alcohol, processed food, hepatotoxic drugs, and exercise regularly to prevent the build-up of extra calories, then the liver can regenerate swiftly, and fatty liver can be reversed. It would help if you got done ultrasonography of the whole abdomen after three months.

I hope this was helpful.

|