Q. Other than alcohol, what is causing my AST to ALT ratio abnormal?

Published on Aug 15, 2018

I am 33 years old male. I am 270 pounds. I have elevated liver enzymes (ALT 389 U/L and AST 194 U/L). I had a liver biopsy done before four months, and the doctor told that I have a healthy liver. I read that the AST to ALT ratio is 2:1 which usually indicates alcoholic liver disease. I do drink, but my AST to ALT ratio is opposite (1:2). Will I have any other cause other than alcohol? I take Keppra 2000 mg daily along with Oxcarbazepine 900 mg and Belviq.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Have you undergone a test for hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and any other infectious panel? Have you seen the ultrasound of liver? The first possibility is steatohepatitis or commonly called as fatty liver. Ultrasound and other enzymes like alkaline phosphatase, and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) will help in diagnosis. Also, alcohol will indirectly contribute to the damage, by increasing fat. So, you should have a healthy lifestyle and try to achieve weight loss.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Lifestyle Modifications in Hypertensive Patients

Article Overview: You can reduce the ill effects of hypertension like heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease by making changes to your lifestyle. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Hypertension is defined as any of the following: Systolic pressure or upper value of blood pressure more than 140 mmHg. Diastolic pressure or lower value of blood pressure more than 90 mmHg. There is no substitute to drugs/medications to keep blood pressure levels under control in a hyper...  Read Article

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

Why am I always hungry and thirsty?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female. My height is 5 feet and 6 inches, and my weight is 160. For the past month, I have been experiencing weight loss, increased hunger, increased thirst, and frequently need to go to the bathroom to pee out large amounts. My skin has become dry. I have also lost...  Read Full »