Q. Ultrasound after chemotherapy for mastectomy showed white liver. Should I worry?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2020

I am 33 years old. I am diagnosed with breast cancer in 2018 and did mastectomy on the left breast, had chemotherapy and radiation. I am now taking Tamoxifen pill. My cancer marker is 11 and all the scans up to now were good all the time. Two weeks ago, I did sonography of abdomen and chest and they said my liver is white and it is a concern and my next appointment with oncology doctor is in three months time. Secondly, again my heart feels like it is expanding and when it does that I struggle to breathe and after a while it goes back to normal so I am not sure what is happening. Should I be worried?

#

Your concerns are genuine and reasonable. Well, since I am a gastroenterologist, I can give you some hint to what is that white liver means in your case. However, I may be unable to figure out the cause for that unusual feeling of heart.

The white liver means increased fat deposition which turn the color of the liver on Sona as white. It seems your weight is on the higher side, I do not know whether you have gained weight recently. Because this weight gain may be the cause of this white liver. I would really appreciate if you could share the report of sonography that you have. This would probably help me and you to confirm what I am saying.

For that unusual feeling of heart, there is apossibility that it may be associated with some anxiety. Since the rate od heart (speed) often increases in response to physiological and mental workout. Exercise is one example, and overthinking of temptations while addressing certain things can raise the heart rate. The person can feel in more or less in this way as you have been feeling. Check your heart rate next time when you have that feeling by counting pulse manually or by a pulse probe available in the market.

|