Q. What are the lifestyle changes to be followed to get cured from fatty liver?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 31, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 27, 2021

I have a grade 2 fatty liver with mild hepatomegaly. I have tightness in the right side of the abdomen. I have fatigue and lethargy after doing physical exercise. I feel fine when I am not exerting myself. I have mild acid reflux when I eat the wrong foods. What to do?

#

Fatty liver is caused due to alcohol consumption. In people who do not drink alcohol, fatty liver is called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). It is caused due to obesity, lack of exercise, diabetes, insulin resistance, excessive belly fat, and excessive intake of refined sugars and fats. In many cases, NAFLD can regress back if the cause is treated. In your case, it caused due to obesity. Try to do exercise, reduce weight slowly and cut refined sugars and fatty meals. Check your fasting and random blood sugar. If it is normal, then it is fine. If it is on the borderline, then you need to do a glucose tolerance test. Also, do liver function tests to rule out the elements of hepatitis. NAFLD can progress to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and this progresses to cirrhosis. Reduce your weight and modify your lifestyle including diet. Take a mediterranean diet. Fatty liver occurs commonly in south asians due to their genes. Do not worry and follow these modifications.

|