Q. Are there chances of HIV transmission after oral sex if it involves injury by the partner's piercing and associated bleeding

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Six months back, I had oral intercourse with two women and an unprotected erotic massage by a worker with her saliva and vaginal secretions to stimulate my penis.

Two months later, I was in contact with a woman without sexual intercourse, during which one of her body piercings struck my lips, and I bled. Then after a month, I developed symptoms of dry cough, mild rash on my arms, swollen lymph nodes in the right armpit, behind the left ear, and left groin area. I also experienced the loss of taste and smell, anal dampness, increased flatulence, dyshidrosis on my hands, leg muscle pain, and brown rectal discharge.

I performed a few tests, such as HIV fourth generation, hepatitis B, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, covid, and mononucleosis, and the test results were all negative.

I also enrolled in 28 days post-exposure prophylaxis course, during which I think the nurse reused the needle during my blood test. I observed a lesion on my penis and a swollen lymph node under my right armpit. Please advise on my risk for diseases like HIV or any other sexually transmitted diseases. I am not sure what is triggering all these symptoms. Kindly suggest.

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

The HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) test is negative repeatedly and after three months of last risk exposure, except for the reused needle risk, as mentioned. Usually, all healthcare professionals are trained in universal precautions. So the chances that they reuse the needle are almost nil. Anyway, you have taken a course on post-exposure prophylaxis.

Considering this act as non-risky, HIV tests can be regarded as conclusive, provided there is no further risk exposure. If so, there is no need for further HIV tests.

The symptoms are non-specific. They need not be due to HIV. I suggest you can consult your doctor for examination and management of your symptoms.

Thank you and take care.

Thank you for the reply.

As I took post-exposure prophylaxis two months after the risky exposure, do you think this would have delayed the seroconversion, and the test result might be inaccurate? I am also concerned about the weight loss of 6 kg in two months. Kindly help.

#

I do not think post-exposure prophylaxis taken two months after the last risk exposure might affect HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody test results.

Weight loss may be due to anxiety, stress, or an inadequate diet. I suggest you consult a specialist doctor to evaluate and manage your symptoms.

Thank you and take care.

|