Q. Can oral sex cause AIDS?

Answered by
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2022 and last reviewed on: Dec 02, 2022

Hello doctor,

I wanted to know if I need to get tested for HIV. About four months ago, I had what I thought was oral sex with a girl. I did not give her cunnilingus for long, but I cannot remember entirely. About a week after this happened, I got tested for STDs like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and some other stuff that came back undetected. I cannot remember how long it was. Still, I started having what I think are HIV symptoms like fatigue, unexplained diarrhea, and an unexplained rash on both of my arms. Still, my arms were burning a little when I would touch them, and it only came up to my shirt line, so I assumed it was a heat rash from sunburn because I was on track practice that day. I do not know what to expect or do because I am afraid if I do not get tested, I will have AIDS later. I have learned that the oral sex risk of HIV is small, but I want to be sure.



Welcome to

The chances of transmitting HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by single unprotected oral sex is almost nil unless there are bleeding wounds in the area of contact. You can go for an HIV antibodies test to relieve anxiety and get conclusive results. Symptoms are non-specific. The lesion may be due to allergies, insect bites, or herpes. Consult your doctor for examination and management.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to avoid HIV infection in a 22-year-old male after having unprotected sex with a masseuse?

.. your concern. You had a very high-risk exposure. Therefore, I suggest you must take a test for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). You might have got some STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), but they may not be severe. The test results will gi...   Read full

I had protected three-second intercourse with a sex worker. Will I get HIV?

The answers to your queries are: If the condom had been used correctly and as you mentioned if there was no break or slipping off during the act, the risk of acquisition of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and other STIs (sexuall...   Read full

Can oral sex result in STD?

Hi doctor, Four days ago, I had oral sex with a lady, who I already know ... Oral sex does not cause HIV (human immunodeficiency virus)...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.