Q. Will I get HIV if I share vibrator?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 22 year old female. I am not sexually active. Recently, my friend gave me one of her toy things. I am not sure what it was at first glance until she told me. She said she cleaned it and to be safe; I cleaned it again. But, after a few days, my vagina felt unusually weird like something was in it. It started feeling different and turned red. I was scared and kept wiping and caused it to flare up. I am not sure about the reason. A couple of days later my throat starts to hurt. It is sore, and my nose is runny. I do not have diarrhea, but my poop is a little runny. I am nervous, and I want to know could I have caught something from using her toy.

I have been told numerous times while growing up that HIV dies once it makes contact with air. So, I have been freaking myself out looking my symptoms up. Please help me or point me in the right direction. Also, I am not sure the last time she used it. Please give me a hand.

#

• It looks like you have been severely stressed with the fear of HIV and it is affecting your health.
  • Transmission through fomites is not a standard mode of acquiring HIV. The virus cannot survive outside the human body. Hence, there is no reason to be afraid of it in your case.
  • Your symptoms appear to be triggered by stress and fear, and you could easily get over them by staying relaxed.
  • Coming to your genital complaints, kindly mention if you have any vaginal discharge, or if there is any foul smell or any recent lower abdomen or a low backache.
  • Although there is no chance of HIV through sharing the vibrators, other common fungal and bacterial infections can be acquired in this way.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|