Q. Can HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) be transmitted through oral sex?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Hi doctor.

I had sex with a social sex worker with an intact condom. But the oral sex was unprotected and lasted for a few seconds. I am concerned about sexually transmitted diseases, especially HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. Does it get transmitted through oral sex? Through the internet, I learned that there is a low risk. But I need medical advice for reassurance. What are the necessary measures to be taken post-exposure?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

Thank you for the query.

Unprotected oral sex with the infected person does not transmit (HIV) human immunodeficiency virus unless there are bleeding wounds in the oral cavity. Protected intercourse with an intact condom prevents the HIV infection. So you do not need PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). Sexually transmitted diseases like herpes spread through skin contact, kissing, or sex. Active lesions during the contact increase the risk of herpes simplex viral infection. You can consult your doctor for further risk assessment. If the result is negative, you need not worry.

|