Q. How to avoid HIV infection in a 22-year-old male after having unprotected sex with a masseuse?

Dr. Sushma Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2022 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2022

I am a 22-year-old male. I can describe myself as well-built, active, and healthy. I hit the gym twice a week and drink alcohol occasionally. I do not want to fall sick, but I am scared. Last month, I visited a spa, I went for a body massage, but the masseuse was so seducing that we eventually ended up having some activities. She caught hold of my penis, and I could not resist because this was my first time. We had quick sexual intercourse, but I am unsure whether she has any STDs. I did not use condoms as I was not prepared for the situation. Now I fear I could get STD from her. After a month of having sex with her now, my lymph nodes in the groin region are swollen and painful. I have not had sex with anyone after that spa incident. What all tests would you advise me to know my STD status? I also read that there are some medicines to prevent and protect from HIV. What are these medicines? Can you suggest me so that I can avoid the infection? What if my HIV status comes positive? Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

You had a very high-risk exposure. Therefore, I suggest you must take a test for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).

You might have got some STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), but they may not be severe.

The test results will give you further directions. If the result is negative, then no problem.

If you had asked earlier, I would have suggested PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) within 48 hours to 72 hours. But, unfortunately, now we do not have this option.

I suggest you relax and take the test.

|