Q. What can be done for fever and hoarseness of voice in 60 year old female?

Dr. Suresh Kanna Subramaniam
Published on Apr 22, 2018

This query is regarding my 60-year-old mother. She has fever and hoarseness of voice since three days. We did her CBC. Kindly suggest next steps.

Dr. Suresh Kanna Subramaniam

#

Since you have not mentioned anything about any other symptoms or other associated illnesses let me assume there is nothing like that for her. Here your mother's CBC (complete blood count) is fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nothing abnormal in that. This may be a mild throat infection or upper respiratory tract infection. So, I would suggest an oral antibiotic, maybe tablet Cefixime 200 mg morning and afternoon for three days, with tablet Rantac (Ranitidine) twice daily, Paracetamol SOS, and tablet Levocet (Levocetirizine dihydrochloride) 5 mg twice daily for three days.Also, gargle with Betadine (Povidone-iodine) solution twice a day advised with rest and fluids. This will be enough. I will review as necessary.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Thank you for your reply. These are her only complaints. No other symptoms. She is not diabetic or hypertensive. No cough or breathlessness present.

Dr. Suresh Kanna Subramaniam

#

Okay fine. Then this will be fair enough for her.

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During an upper respiratory tract infection, like cold, the infection can rise up to ears through the eustachian tube that connects back of nose to middle ear. That is what has happened to you during the cold. It is called eustachian tube catarrh. You need a course of ...  Read Full

What can cause frequent throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to get throat infection whenever I drink cold water. Due to weather also drinking water gets cold. Even that leads to throat infection. What measure shall I take to protect myself from throat infection?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many patients come to me with this complaint of frequent sore throat. First I would say do not worry about this. We must evaluate if there is any pathogenic organism residing in the throat and causing recurrent infections. For the same a throat swab (culture and sensit...  Read Full