Q. Is it usual for fibroadenoma of the breast to pain during the fertile days?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I am 29 years old, a mother of a 17 months toddler. Two years ago, I was suspected of having fibroadenoma on the right breast by a doctor who has only done the ultrasound because I did not accept to do the biopsy. The report that is written by the doctor says Ultrasonographic bilaterally dense glandular parenchyma on the left side. There are no signs of pathological echogenicity. On the right side, a lobule hypoechogenic focus of 16 mm suspected of fibroadenoma is seen. Since then, I have not done any ultrasound at all and have not used any kind of medication because the doctor has not prescribed me anything, and recently I feel pain before the period, and then after having the period, I do not feel pain. But now that I am on the fertile days, I feel pain a lot when touching it, and I can feel that there is a thick lump near the nipple. Moreover, now I can feel I have lumps on the left side when I touch it, and it is painful, but the right side is more painful, and this did not happen to me before. Just to add that I am still breastfeeding. I want to do another ultrasound, but until then, I need your answer to these questions:

1. I do not have a family history of breast cancer, except the aunt of my mother, who had breast cancer. Is it possible this is cancer and not fibroadenoma?

2. What kind of diet should I have to take to cure this disease?

3. I am afraid of biopsy. I have heard that it is dangerous because when you get a part of the lump removed (and if that is cancer), the rest of it will be shared all over the body. Is it true?

4. Should I stop breastfeeding, and can I plan for another baby after some months, or should I better get surgery done before then?

5. Is it possible that I feel this pain these days because of the fertile days I am going through?

#

I have gone through your narration of symptoms. With the history of pain occurring around the period's time, it is more likely to be Fibroadenosis rather than Fibroadenoma.

I would like to assure you not to worry about either of these conditions as both of them are only benign conditions and not cancerous. It will not cause any dangerous harm. There is nothing much specific help we could get drastically from diet modification for this condition. Just maintain your ideal body weight. But still, you need to confirm it by a biopsy. You need not fear biopsy. As you described, it is not the removal of part of the lump. It is just a pinch of the lump, a small bit from it with a small injection. Sometimes your surgeon might decide to excise it as a whole and send for biopsy, in which case, and it is called an excision biopsy. But that will serve you dually for diagnosis and also completion of treatment by total removal. And it is only minor surgery, not a major one. So, just throw away your fears on that. You can continue breastfeeding and plan for pregnancy. But I think the lump may increase in size during pregnancy which I am not sure about. You need to consult with a gynecologist regarding this.

Do the investigations as advised below and review back.

CBC (complete blood count), RBS (random blood sugar),
Serum Lipid Profile.
Free T4 (thyroxine), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone),
USG (ultrasonography) of both breasts.

|