Q. Can having Cymbalta lead to no sexual drive in a patient with fibromyalgia?

Dr. Divya Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2019

My girlfriend has fibromyalgia and is currently on Cymbalta and a muscle relaxant. She said she has no desire for sex but it seems she is having sexual dreams. She does not know that she is doing it but it does not make sense to me. When she was on Tramadol, everything was fine unless she was just high from that drug. Any insight from you would be helpful. Thank you.

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatology
#

• It is possible that she has no desire or she may be fatigued by the fibromyalgia.
  • Drugs like Cymbalta (Duloxetine) act on neurotransmitters and there is a possibility that they affect a person's emotions and desires.
  • Generally, once the drug goes on for some time, the adverse effects settle down and things normalize. However, if the adverse effects are intolerable, the drug can be changed to an alternative like Pregabalin or Gabapentin.

For further information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|