Q. I get persistent body pain with intense pain in lower feet and hand. Is it leukemia or lymphoma?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

I am 33 years old and weighs about 86 kg. My whole body hurts. I got pain all over the body, pain in legs and hands. Pain is persistent all the time mostly in the lower feet and hand. I am having pain for the past three months. I just had an appointment with my doctor. He ordered some blood work and told me everything is fine. And he told me to see the rheumatologist once for my peace of mind.

I have attached my report. Do you see anything abnormal in my blood report? What is the cause of my body pain? Is anything wrong with my body? Do I have any underlying conditions such as leukemia, lymphoma, or any other cancer? Do I have any liver disease or thyroid disease that can lead me to pain? Before three months I did a blood test and my rheumatoid factor was 8.1 iu/ml and now it is 11 iu/ml. Why it is going up with a short duration of time? What do I need to do?

I am eating healthy and getting good sleep but I am not losing weight. My vitamin D level is 40ng/ml and I am taking vitamin B12. I am taking vitamin D for almost one year. I m taking 4000 IU for five days a week. Please explain in detail the treatment plan.

#

Well, I have gone through your history and the reports attached.(attachment removed to protect patient identity).

All the reports are normal. I could not find the reports of liver function tests there, but I suppose your doctor had already looked into it. Do not worry, you don't have any cancers at the current time. If any cancer would cause pain, it surely would have affected your blood counts as well. As for Rheumatoid factor, 8 or 11, can be lab variation or instrument variation, but as long as you do not have joint swellings or pain it is insignificant.

My diagnosis for pain would go for fibromyalgia. It is more of a diagnosis of exclusion and one only considers it after ruling out the other causes, which they have done so far. I will give you a link, you can go through it and let me know if your symptoms match this. As treatment will depend on your being convinced about the diagnosis.

Fibromyalgia.

|