Q. After fistulectomy, when can I get back to work?

Dr. Rahul Goel

I have undergone fistulectomy and right now in bed rest. I am taking sitz bath, three times a day with Betadine solution and then Betadine cream. Also, I am on antibiotics. I am a working in IT sector and my work requires a sitting time of 8 hours approximately. So, when can I go back to work? I am a basketball player. When can I start playing again? How long does it take to fully heal? What all food should I avoid? What other precautions should I take when I get back to work? Please give me full details about this. Thank you.

#

• Fistula-in-ano is a chronic and debilitating illness. I must first congratulate you for getting it operated.
  • After the surgery, you can resume your routine work after two week's time. This will allow the operated site to heal properly.
  • You can start sports after a month. By this time, your fistula should have healed completely.
  • Precautions to be taken are that you must avoid processed foods that are high in sugar and fat. For example, biscuits, noodles, chocolates, etc. Also, try to take a high fiber diet such as rice, dal, roti, salads and leafy vegetables such as spinach, cabbage, etc.
  • Keep good local hygiene by changing your underwear daily and keeping the area dry. You may apply talcum powder over the buttocks also.
  • If you find that the stools are hard, then I suggest laxative such as Isabgol husk or Lactulose syrup. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

I have scheduled to return to work after approximately three weeks of surgery. I hope that is fine. One month after surgery means the uppermost layer of the buttock will completely heal. As of now 8 days into surgery, I still can see a hole in the operated area and there is yellow sticky mucous sort of substance in the area after my sitz bath. What is that? Is it normal to have such a thing? I am able to pass stool easily as the doctor has given me a liquid stool softener. Regarding food, can I have non-vegetarian food?

#

• Three of convalescence after surgery is good enough.
  • What you are seeing over the operated site is the normal healing process of the body. It will resolve soon.
  • You can have non-vegetarian food. Get well soon.

How long does it normally take for the uppermost layer of the skin to come over? Now, I am 10 days into surgery and still feeling a little itchy or uncomfortably on the side of the operated site of my buttock. If you wish, I can send a latest picture of the operated site and show you the present condition.

#

• The skin will come over after two weeks.
  • Yes, sure. You can send the pictures.

Revert back with the photos to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Is it two weeks from now or two weeks from the surgery day? I feel my healing is too slow. But, I do not know the reason for such a feel. I will send the pictures.

#

• Two weeks from the day of surgery is the usual time. However, there can be some individual variation where it may take five to six days extra.
  • I would suggest that you allow the body to heal naturally and not get too worried.
  • You can meet your surgeon to show him your wound if you feel that there is something wrong. That would be the best way to go about it. Get well soon.

|