Q. I have a cold and flu after having sex. Could it be HIV?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 28, 2019

I had sex with a girl I know. The condom broke while having sex. After 30 minutes, I started having the headache. I was distraught. I took the antibiotics. After two days, I had a cold. Can HIV symptoms appear this fast? Or it was because I took the antibiotics? Or I am just panicking?

#

• HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) symptoms cannot appear so soon. It may be due to an anxiety or just a coincidence.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

So, HIV symptoms cannot appear within three days. But, I am having the same symptoms I read about the HIV on the internet. Is it possible that the antibiotics I took for two days after the sex to cause these symptoms? Or is it because of the antibiotics fighting against the HIV?

#

• No, It is not possible due to the antibiotic effect also. Kindly avoid reading about HIV in the internet sources, as it may scare you. Good luck.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

How many weeks later the symptoms like cold and flu will appear?

#

• They usually appear from two weeks to two months after the exposure. These symptoms are vague and may be present in many other conditions.
  • You should get fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test at four to six weeks after an exposure and then at the 12th week.

It means the symptoms that I am having is just the cold and flu. The HIV symptoms cannot appear within three days. Am I correct?

#

• Yes, you are right.

|