Q. I have skeletal fluorosis, and my child got enamel hypoplasia. Did it get transmitted from me?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 05, 2022 and last reviewed on: Nov 01, 2022

About nine years ago, my friends and I did moronic stuff. For nearly a month, we inhaled duster, which is difluoroethane or something similar. I do not know how many cans I used, maybe 20. I recently read that it can cause fluorosis. We also drank Listerine twice, which may or may not have had fluoride. I did not have signs of fluoride toxicity at the time that I can remember.

Flash forward to two years ago, I had a baby. I became obsessed with the idea that I had skeletal fluorosis nine years ago. During regular bone remodeling in pregnancy, I had poisoned her with fluoride from the exposure seven years before she was ever conceived. She is fine, but she developed enamel hypoplasia, she was a bit premature, and I had a rough labor, she also got a few high fevers as a little one. It is not on all of her teeth, her front four teeth are affected, not too severely, and her molars have slight to moderate hypoplasia or hypomineralization. I had a fluoride urine test while breastfeeding that showed no fluoride present but low creatinine which is 13 mg/dL, so I feel it cannot be trusted, even though I would have been having bone remodeling at this time too which is nine months post-birth. The specimen was probably not dilute. I had just lost muscle recently from terrible anxiety. I have OCD, and even though her dentist has reassured me, I am obsessed with the idea that I caused her enamel hypoplasia. I have no evidence I ever had fluoride toxicity except for my stupid exposures. Please tell me if this is irrational or could be a cause of her hypoplasia.

Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

Enamel hypoplasia results from deficiency, trauma during calcification, enamel destruction during crown formation, and genetic defect. Fluorosis is not linked with hypoplasia. Also, fluorosis can occur due to a concentration of fluoride of more than 16-32 micrograms per kilogram. Neither you nor your child has ingested it. Lastly, fluorosis is not genetic or transmitted from mother to father. So please do not feel blamed for that.

|