Q. What does my FNAC report of breast indicate?

Dr. Pratik Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jun 02, 2019

I am waiting to be booked for what my doctor calls a core-biopsy and it is taking too long. As I wait I would like to research and gain more information. I would like an interpretation of this report please. These are the results of a fine needle aspiration on left breast:

The smears are highly cellular. Cohesive branching monolayers of mildly pleomorphic ductal epithelial cells are present in a background containing frequent bare bipolar nuclei, occasional macrophages and some myxoid stroma. Within the epithelial cell aggregates, nuclear streaming and an admixed myoepithelial cell population is revealed. No dissociated malignant cell population or true papillary epithelial cell aggregates with fibrovascular cores are identified.

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

This is a picture suggestive of a fibroadenoma. It is not a malignant bump. But, FNAC identifies only the part that has been included in that needle. So to confirm, we do a trucut biopsy which tests the entire lump and is conclusive. 99 % this is a non-cancerous lump.

I have a painful lump in my breast. Are my reports suggestive of a breast cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a lump on my breast that is painful. It is on the right breast, under the underarms. I was given vitamin E medicine, and I was told to get ultrasound and FNAC. I have attached both my reports. The reports say FNAC smear prepared from right breast reveal abundant neutrophils admi...  Read Full »

I have a benign multinodular goiter. Is there a need for thyroidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with multinodular goiter and have done FNAC, which turned to be benign. Is there any other way to get rid of the enlargement of the goiter and the nodules? My thyroid is full of them ranging from 0.5 to 0.9 mm. What should I do? I feel lost, and I have a con...  Read Full »

How can I cure my fibroadenomas present in breast and PCOD?

Query: Hi doctor, My sonomammography report showed fibroadenomas in the left breast in 2-1 and 3-4 clock positions measuring 8 x 2 mm and 6 x 3 mm. My USG reports showed polycystic ovaries, a cyst adjacent to left ovary, a hypoechoic lesion is seen between the uterus and the right ovary is found with broad...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now