Q. Can folliculitis cause pain and inflammation in the anal region?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I have had pain in my anal area for less than a week. It hurts every time I sit down, lift something, squat down, or walk. I have a previous history of dust allergy and hay fever. I have used the tablet Cetirizine in the past.

Kindly advise.

#

Thank you for the query. I understand your concern. You have an inflamed pus lesion in the anal area. It may be due to folliculitis. Do you have any issues related to passing stools? I suggest the below steps:

• Avoid wearing tight clothes.
  • Wear loose inner wears.
  • Avoid friction or irritation to the area.
  • Avoid sitting for long hours.
  • Avoid shaving too short or close to the skin.
  • Apply topical antibiotic cream like Mupirocin or Fucidin (Sodium Fusidate).
  • Take analgesics like Ibuprofen after food to reduce pain and inflammation.

You may need oral antibiotics if it does not subside with the above treatment plan. Also, if it worsens, I suggest you consult your doctor for further examination and management.

Kindly revert in case of further questions.

Thank you for the reply. Are the prescribed creams available only through a prescription?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.I suggest cream Silverex (Sulphadiazine and Chlorhexidine), or cream Soframycin (Framycetin Sulphate 1 %w/w), or ointment Povidone Iodine. These are available as OTC (over-the-counter) products. You must clean the area with warm saline twice daily and apply the cream.

|