Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I get anal pain due to a flap in anal region. Why do I get this pain?

Answered by
Dr. Noushif M
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

Hi doctor,

For the past one month, I am having pain in my anus. It pains while throwing waste and even while sitting. There is a skin flap that has appeared at the end of the anus towards the outer side. There are two flaps one is more white in color and the other is reddish. It is not bleeding however, I am having pain. I am not taking any medication for that as I could not go and see a doctor and thought that it will be cured on its own.

It actually started at the time of my period when my stomach got disturbed with hard stools. Please help.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology


Welcome to

The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the symptoms suggest you have an external pile mass. The pain is due to an underlying fissure, or simply a crack at the anal opening. These usually result from hard stools or constipation.

You need to start on dietary measures aimed at making stools soft as well as stool softening medicines. Also, topical medicines to apply at the anal orifice will also help in relieving the acute pain.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Please provide the prescription and whatever dietary changes I need to follow.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology


Welcome back to

Keep yourself well hydrated. Take two to three liters of fluids daily in whichever forms you like.

Avoid constipating foods, maize-based, baked ones, cheese, etc. Add high-fiber foods. Avoid straining at stools. Make sure stools are soft by judicious use of stool softeners.

Be consistent with these measures for at least six weeks. Start stool softeners the moment you feel stools getting hard.

I would suggest taking syrup Cremaffin plus (Paraffin and Milk of magnesia) 20 ml twice daily, Fidonal (Nifedipine and Lidocaine) cream for application at the anal orifice, three times daily, and Lactifiber granules two scoops in 100 ml water at bed time for five days.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Kindly suggest medicines for anal pain.
Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?
Does constipation cause burning sensation in anus?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have anal pain even two weeks after a piles surgery. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor,I had undergone piles surgery two weeks ago. Still, I have pain in the anal area during bowel movements.  Read Full »

Please suggest a medicine for piles and a lump outside the anus.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a piles problem. I had blood in my stool for about one month, and now a lump is felt outside of my anus. I need some medication. Please suggest.  Read Full »

How to cure piles? Please suggest some medicines.

Query: Hi doctor, I have piles for the past two months. Please suggest some medicines.  Read Full »

Also Read

I have a little patch on my hairline, which is not healing properly. Why?
Hi doctor, I am a fair-skinned 32-year-old woman. I have used skincare with SPF for as long as I can remember and have n...  Read more»
I have lots of afterimages and visual trailing. Could it be due to dry eyes?
Hello doctor, Can dry eyes cause afterimages and visual trails? I have a history of non-allergic rhinitis and dry eyes ...  Read more»
Hemophilia - Signs, Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Hemophilia is a rare genetic blood disorder, that results from low levels or absence of clotting factor VIII or IX. Read...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.