Q. I get anal pain due to a flap in anal region. Why do I get this pain?

Dr. Noushif M
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 02, 2020

For the past one month, I am having pain in my anus. It pains while throwing waste and even while sitting. There is a skin flap that has appeared at the end of the anus towards the outer side. There are two flaps one is more white in color and the other is reddish. It is not bleeding however, I am having pain. I am not taking any medication for that as I could not go and see a doctor and thought that it will be cured on its own.

It actually started at the time of my period when my stomach got disturbed with hard stools. Please help.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

The picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the symptoms suggest you have an external pile mass. The pain is due to an underlying fissure, or simply a crack at the anal opening. These usually result from hard stools or constipation.

You need to start on dietary measures aimed at making stools soft as well as stool softening medicines. Also, topical medicines to apply at the anal orifice will also help in relieving the acute pain.

| 

Please provide the prescription and whatever dietary changes I need to follow.

Dr. Noushif M

#

Keep yourself well hydrated. Take two to three liters of fluids daily in whichever forms you like.

Avoid constipating foods, maize-based, baked ones, cheese, etc. Add high-fiber foods. Avoid straining at stools. Make sure stools are soft by judicious use of stool softeners.

Be consistent with these measures for at least six weeks. Start stool softeners the moment you feel stools getting hard.

I would suggest taking syrup Cremaffin plus (Paraffin and Milk of magnesia) 20 ml twice daily, Fidonal (Nifedipine and Lidocaine) cream for application at the anal orifice, three times daily, and Lactifiber granules two scoops in 100 ml water at bed time for five days.

|