Q. I have a painful mark on my back. Is it a cancerous mole or an insect bite?

Answered by
Dr. Shanza Ikram
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have a slightly painful mark on my back. I have sent the picture. Is it a cancerous mole or an insect bite?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In my opinion, it is not a cancerous mole at all. Yes, it could be an insect bite reaction or folliculitis. Please mix Hydrocortisone cream and Fusidic acid cream and apply twice daily on the affected area for seven days. Take care.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you able to zoom in on the picture? It gives me an on and off the burning sensation. I have an appointment with a dermatologist for tomorrow, but I have the worst anxiety attack. I appreciate your answer, though.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I can understand your anxiety and apprehension. Considering your anxiety, I again examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My diagnosis is folliculitis or some insect bite. Pain and burning sensation are more common when pus or fluid gets captured in a small enclosed cavity. And it occurs both in insect bite and folliculitis. You will get relieved if this pus is drained out. Apply the given cream; it will drain out your pus, and the lesion will be flattened. The rest of your back shows freckles. And these are common in fair skin individuals. I hope I have satisfied your anxiety to some extent.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have itchy scalp. Is it folliculitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I hope you will read it thoroughly and answer every query. I am a 30 years old male. It all started with itchy scalp ten months back this summer. But, I was not concerned much, since it was just itchy and some bumps like mosquito bites (not more than two to three) and some swelling as...  Read Full »

How to treat folliculitis on the penis?

Query: Hi doctor,This is on my penis foreskin. What exactly is this? I had tried squeezing it. Is it folliculitis by any chance? Anything to worry and what is the treatment for this?  Read Full »

I have a painful bump with folliculitis below nipple. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33-year-old obese male. About 1 and a half years ago, I had a painful folliculitis, right below the left nipple which was cured after taking some antibiotics. It had caused a tiny bump below the left nipple, which when touched hurt. Anyways, after taking antibiotics it got healed....  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.