Q. I accidentally pressed the soft spot on my 40 days old baby's head. Should I be worried?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had accidentally pressed the soft spot in the head of my 40 days old baby while taking him out of the crib. He was crying before and after, and he had not made any special responses. Is there anything to worry? Please help. I am so tensed.

#

• Just pressing the soft spot on the baby's head would not cause any major problem. It is just an opening in the head bones.
  • Baby's feel discomfort during handling, hence they cry. But be careful to notice if any excessive and inconsolable cry occurs.

Thank you and have a nice day.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for replying. He did not cry inconsolably. But from today evening, I noticed that his sleep is disturbed. He is waking up frequently after very short naps. I am scared that this is because of that pressing. He also seems to have a stiff nose, but he does not have a fever or cold or running nose. Please reply.

#

• If your child is consolable, then it is absolutely fine. Frequent waking up and becoming irritated and fussy could be possibly due to a stiff nose.
  • I suggest using nasal saline drops twenty minutes before feeding and do proper burping after giving feed for at least fifteen to twenty minutes.

Thank you and have a nice day.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for your reply. Can you confirm that the stiff nose is not due pressing his head? Are you sure that nothing happened to my baby? Please do not get irritated by my questions. I hope you understand that it is a confused new mom's tension. Thank you.

#

• It is a commonly asked complaint from parents. Both the conditions are not related. So, continue breastfeeding and keep your baby warm.

Thank you and have a nice day.

|