Q. My granddaughter is 17 months old but her anterior fontanelle is still not closed. Why?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

My granddaughter is 17 months and one week old. She was a term baby born out of a normal vaginal delivery. She weighed 3 kg during birth and was 2.8 kg when we were discharged from the hospital four days later. She was exclusively breastfed for six months, after which we introduced solid foods (in addition to breast milk, which is still continuing). She is a very bad eater, however, we are managing to feed her protein-rich food thrice daily using a lot of diversion tactics.

My questions are: Why her anterior fontanelle is still not closed? Still, there is a little bit of space left. She seems otherwise healthy and active, and seems very intelligent in the way she grasps things through books, remembering every single thing. Her weight also seems normal, although she is not overweight or chubby. Is it normal for the fontanelle to still remain open a little bit? I know it is supposed to close completely by 18 months, but I am wondering if it will close in the remaining three weeks. Suppose it takes longer than 18 months to close, is it fine? Please let me know.

#

From what you mentioned, your kid seems completely normal you do not have to worry. You should add supplemental calcium, and Vitamin D drops. Also by 17 months, she should be able to walk. Warning signs that you should watch for are persistent vomiting, fits or delayed motor development. Just follow up and the fontanelle will close within a few weeks.

| 

I would still like to know, up to what age maximum we can wait for the fontanelle to close?

#

We can wait up to a maximum of 24 months. Supplemental Calcium and Vitamin D are important.

| 

Why am I having constipation with hard stools and frequent urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 34 years old, female. I am suffering from asthma, rhinitis allergy, IBS, ulcerative colitis and osteoporosis, and anemia. My last blood report was of 7.9 hemoglobin. I feel constantly tired and exhausted plus new problem has started that each and every bone pains all the time mos...  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

Meningitis

Article Overview: Acute inflammation of the meninges, which are three protective membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord, is called meningitis.  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Meningitis? Acute inflammation of the meninges, which are three protective membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord, is called meningitis. This inflammation is mainly caused by a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection, and sometimes due to certain drugs or toxins, cancer, and other ra...  Read Article