Q. I get loose motion and stomach upset whenever I eat watermelon. Why does this happen?

Dr. Aamir Mohd
Published on Apr 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

Yesterday during lunch, I ate drumstick leaves curry. Whenever I eat that, in an hour or two, I go to the toilet (little loose stools) two times. Is this normal? Yesterday I had the same, further after about 5 hours, I ate grapes. After an hour, I had to go to the toilet often (loose motion). Why does this happen? Did I eat anything in the wrong combination? I also get loose motion and stomach upset whenever I eat watermelon after food, especially it becomes severe and affects for two days. Am I sensitive to any such components? I understand that eating fruits after food can cause indigestion, but my friends seem to be not affected, even if they eat a lot of melon after lunch.

Dr. Aamir Mohd

#

You seem to have allergy to some food products. You should do an allergy sensitivity test for food products and fruits. This test will tell you which food and fruits you are allergic to and you should avoid having those foods. What is your age? Did you have any fever or rash on your body?

For now, try tablet Levocet (Levocetirizine) twice a day for 5 days. Also, take tablet Loperamide 2 mg twice a day for 5 days. Take care.

Thank you for your quick clarification.

I am 32 years old. I did not have a fever and a rash. Can you please share more on how allergy sensitivity test is conducted? When do I take these tablets, twice a day means morning and night after food? I have planned to drive tomorrow (6 hours). Is it advisable? Now should I restrict myself on any type of easy digesting food? If yes, can you please suggest some? Is it advisable to eat roti? Also, is it normal, that people have such allergies to some foods? Is it possible to correct it than trying to avoid it (as sometimes, knowingly it may not be avoidable or unknowingly we might consume)?

Dr. Aamir Mohd

#

Answers for your queries:

1. Test will be conducted by taking your blood sample.
  2. Since you will be driving tomorrow, you should not take tablet Levocet.
  3. Just take tablet Loperamide, it will control your loose motions.
  4. Take light food like bread and drink plenty of water and fruit juices especially apple.
  5. For one or two days avoid roti.
  6. Yes, it is completely normal to have allergies to food.
  7. The only way to treat is to avoid those food products.

Take care.

How can loose stools and a lot of gas released from the anus be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, Since last one year, I am having loose stools with a lot of gas released from the anus. Motion is not cleared fully. There is a burning sensation in stomach and somewhere in the intestines. There is a huge rambling in the stomach, especially in the evening hours. The doctor ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The present symptoms look more likely due to constipation.  I suggest you follow these measures: Avoid constipating foods like maize-based foods, junk foods, baked ones etc. Keep yourself well hydrated with two to three liters of water a day in various ...  Read Full

My baby often has loose stools. What medicines should I give him?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 6 months old son. He often suffers from loose stools. I do not know why it happens. My friend suggested I give Mathulai manappagu. Please share your thoughts.  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. Giving medicine is not the ideal solution to his problem. Firstly, try to find out the exact cause behind the loose motions. Because, once you find out the exact cause, it will be easy for you to avoid that causative factor and the loose motion...  Read Full

How long should I continue Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms seem to suggest that you are suffering from allergy. Levocet M (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) is given for the same purpose. It is true that the medicine should be taken for a few months regularly. It has minimal side effects, like dryness of mouth, ...  Read Full

Ask a General Practitioner Now