Q. I get loose motion and stomach upset whenever I eat watermelon. Why does this happen?

Dr. Mohammad Aamir
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 15, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2018

Yesterday during lunch, I ate drumstick leaves curry. Whenever I eat that, in an hour or two, I go to the toilet (little loose stools) two times. Is this normal? Yesterday I had the same, further after about 5 hours, I ate grapes. After an hour, I had to go to the toilet often (loose motion). Why does this happen? Did I eat anything in the wrong combination? I also get loose motion and stomach upset whenever I eat watermelon after food, especially it becomes severe and affects for two days. Am I sensitive to any such components? I understand that eating fruits after food can cause indigestion, but my friends seem to be not affected, even if they eat a lot of melon after lunch.

#

You seem to have allergy to some food products. You should do an allergy sensitivity test for food products and fruits. This test will tell you which food and fruits you are allergic to and you should avoid having those foods. What is your age? Did you have any fever or rash on your body?

For now, try tablet Levocet (Levocetirizine) twice a day for 5 days. Also, take tablet Loperamide 2 mg twice a day for 5 days. Take care.

Thank you for your quick clarification.

I am 32 years old. I did not have a fever and a rash. Can you please share more on how allergy sensitivity test is conducted? When do I take these tablets, twice a day means morning and night after food? I have planned to drive tomorrow (6 hours). Is it advisable? Now should I restrict myself on any type of easy digesting food? If yes, can you please suggest some? Is it advisable to eat roti? Also, is it normal, that people have such allergies to some foods? Is it possible to correct it than trying to avoid it (as sometimes, knowingly it may not be avoidable or unknowingly we might consume)?

#

Answers for your queries:

1. Test will be conducted by taking your blood sample.
  2. Since you will be driving tomorrow, you should not take tablet Levocet.
  3. Just take tablet Loperamide, it will control your loose motions.
  4. Take light food like bread and drink plenty of water and fruit juices especially apple.
  5. For one or two days avoid roti.
  6. Yes, it is completely normal to have allergies to food.
  7. The only way to treat is to avoid those food products.

Take care.

|