Q. After taking medications for acid reflux, I have a feeling of food stuck in the throat. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 21, 2020

I am suffering from acid reflex for many years but it increased last month. I am positive for H.Pylori antigen and also food regurgitation. I visited a doctor and he prescribed Nexium, Dimperodone, and Amoxil 1 g and Levofloxacin. Now I feel like food stuck in the throat and if I stop treatment acid reflex is found.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I did review the lab tests and prescription you added (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So your symptoms are suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. Further to specify, it is PPI responsive GERD because you respond to PPI drug which is Nexium.

The treatment is that you should continue for another total of four weeks and then stop the medicines. If your symptoms of reflux are not.controlled with once daily Nexium. I suggest to increase the dose to twice daily half an hour before meals.

For example, your symptoms are completely unresponsive to Nexium in that case. You need to undergo an endoscopy to see whether you other problems within food pipe mimicking GERD. I see you probably have just completed your antibiotic course for H.pylori. You need to have a repeat stool testing for H.pylori after two weeks of finishing Nexium means six weeks after the start of your first treatment.

PPI responsive GERD. H.pylori infection.

If your persistent symptoms despite intake of Nexium. I suggest to contact me as I can suggest you the further management of refractory GERD.

|