Q. Are my symptoms normally seen in peroneal neuropathy?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Published on Jul 03, 2017

I got peroneal neuropathy after bariatric surgery. I have lost 97 lbs in the last six months, and all of a sudden, I was diagnosed with peroneal neuropathy in my right leg. My right leg was numb from the knee down all through my toes, but now the numbness has subsided and only my big toe and a little bit towards my ankle are numb. I still cannot lift my foot, and I am scared to death that there is something else wrong with me. I have a lot of pain down my buttocks and outside of my thigh down my calf and my ankle. Does this sound like normal symptoms of peroneal neuropathy? I have had an MRI of my lower back that showed slight bolds disking on the left side and spinal stenosis on both sides of my lower back, but the neurologist said that he did not think that could cause the foot drop. I also had a nerve conduction test and an EMG. I am just so scared that I have ALS even though both neurologists told me I do not have it.

#

• Foot drop and impaired sensation on the outer side of the leg below the knee is possible by common peroneal neuropathy. But same can also happen by the involvement of partial sciatic nerve involvement or lumbar plexus involvement or the involvement of roots coming from the spine.
  • Foot drop alone without impaired sensations on the outer side of the leg is possible by above said involvement along with the involvement of spinal cord or the involvement of leg area in the frontal lobe of the brain. The differential diagnosis is lumbosacral radiculopathy.
  • Pain down the buttocks and outside of thigh, calf, and ankle is more of suggestive of the involvement of nerve roots near the spinal cord. I would like to see your NCV (nerve conduction velocity), EMG (electromyography), ande MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) images.

Revert with more information to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed feet neuropathy, primarily the right foot from the past one year. The symptoms went away six months back but returned a month back (burning, tingling, etc). I suffer from high blood pressure and anxiety. The neurologists could not find the cause after all tests. I tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is less likely that your symptoms are related to herpes. Herpes infection does not usually lead to such a clinical situation. Besides, a positive test does not always indicate an active infection. The fact that your tests resulted in positive means that you have g...  Read Full

I was suggested surgery for cervical spondylosis. Should I go for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53 year old female. I am cervical spondylosis patient. After MRI report, the doctor suggested an operation. Should I go with the operation or not? MRI report: Spine with the screening of the whole spine: Cervical spine was studied with 3 mm thin slices in the axial and sagitt...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there is persistent numbness in the hands in cervical radiculopathy, then surgery is indicated. As you have mentioned that you have significant numbness, and your MRI reports also suggest the same, you should consider getting a surgery done. Till then you can be ...  Read Full

Why does my leg pain even after walking short distances?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old and my leg pains while walking. Can I please know what is the reason behind this? This problem started nine years ago. But, now my leg pains after walking even 20 to 30 meters. I am currently on Thyroxine 50 mg. I have had a Doppler ultrasound. Please help.  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of leg pain. The most common is degenerative lumbar disc disease with radiculopathy due to compression of nerve root especially if the pain is only on one leg. The other causes are vitamin D and B deficiency especially if the pain is on both s...  Read Full