Q. Can autoimmune disease interfere with the results of fourth-generation HIV test?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

How accurate is HIV test after six months? What are the things that affect or delay the HIV test? I am taking Ashwaghanda, does it delay my test? When should I test if I have an autoimmune disease?

#

There is a window period of three months after an exposure in which the HIV antibody test may come negative, but six months is a good enough time for the test to become reliable. Ashwagandha does not affect the test. Even if you have autoimmune disease, it means you have antibodies to your own body tissues. But HIV is an external antigen and specific antibodies are formed for a specific antigen. So your autoantibodies will be different from HIV antibody. The test will detect HIV antibody only.

I have done an HIV test on six months with HIV fourth-generation antigen/antibody. So would this p24 antigen be detectable in the high amount on the p24 portion of the fourth-generation test in rare cases of someone who never produces antibodies for HIV? Here is my HIV report.

#

I have seen the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your report is negative for both antigen and antibody, so you are not infected. This test is very reliable if done after one month of exposure to possible HIV. You have done at six months so it is reliable. If you have an antigen, you will produce antibodies. If you do not produce antibodies and are infected, it is not possible, yet suppose it is, then you would be severely sick by this time.

Do I need more tests? Have you seen or heard anyone who is negative on six months test and turn positive later on? Can I trust my test?

#

You can trust your test. I have not seen anyone turning positive after being negative at six months. For disease purpose, you are negative if had no further exposure in between. It would be good to know what type of exposure you had and when and if there was any more exposure or the time of last exposure, or if you had multiple exposures?

I had three encounters. One was on last year in November with a sexworker, but I used a condom. Second was on February with a random girl whose HIV status is not known, but I used a condom. Third exposure was also with a random girl whom I met on gym and it is was also on February, but this time I was without a condom. Then I tested on February end with fourth generation HIV test and it came out negative. I waited again and retested on May 26, after three months with HIV 1 and 2 with fourth generation, it is negative. Again I tested it on June 20 with the same fourth generation and again I did a test on July 20. It came out negative and latest test on August 04th with antigen/antibodies was non-reactive. I am just sacred do I need more tests? I heard that it would take six more months to be accurate, is that true?

#

There is nothing to be scared of, just relax and chill. You are not infected, two tests are enough to confirm. It is six months since the last exposure, and fourth generation tests become positive by one month. After so many tests it is negative so you are negative just relax.

After a few weeks, I heard that the P24 antigen would stop producing and decrease and it will not show in the test, and the antibodies produced are low and undetectable in the test. Is this possible? I heard that HIV is hard to get from females to males. Is that true? I am worried about it. Do you do HIV test? What kind of test you do? You have never seen patients turn positive later after three months of negative test, right?

#

There are two tests antigen and antibody. Antigen enters the body with the virus, an antibody is formed in the body to fight the antigen. Hence antigen test becomes positive earlier than the antibody test. When the antibody starts to rise, it neutralize the antigen which gradually comes down. The advantage of fourth-generation test is that it detects both antigen and antibody. If one is low other is high. In either case, if you are infected, the test would be positive.

Even if the female is positive, you may not get infected. Male to female transmission is more because man deposits 2-5 ml of semen in the vagina. We do both antigen and antibody test. At three months, if someone is negative we repeat the antibody test only at six months but never seen anyone turning positive after being tested negative at three months.

Is it possible that p24 antigen and antibodies both are undetected because of some weird things? So six months is final for all people I mean people who are suffering from cancer, immune deficiency people who are taking prep? Is six months final for all patients? I heard that HCV also delay on test? Why is that it is hard to get HIV from females to males? Can you look my CBC and look if I have any immune deficiency or any things that may delay? Please do I need more test or not this are my final question that most scared me is that I went to see prostitution but it was nine and half months, I use a condom and I cum inside but I was wearing it I pull out and throw away without looking maybe it was broken or torn.

#

It is not possible for both to be undetectable if you are infected, of course it will be undetectable if you are not infected. Six months is final for all groups of people, those who are on immunosuppressive treatment may develop delayed antibody but their antigen test will not be affected. From females, you do not get much transfer of fluids. Your CBC (complete blood count) (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is normal. 9.5 months is a good enough time for the test to become positive if you are infected, so relax, take care.

| 

What can cause diffuse cerebral atrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is a 45 year old female. She had two episodes of unconsciousness. Her BP usually is normal at 80/58 mmHg and pulse 76 to 80 beats per minute.  We got an MRI done which showed diffuse cerebral atrophy with chronic ischaemic changes. MRA normal with no flow limiting significant ...  Read Full »

What does borderline positive c-ANCA levels indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My c-ANCA levels are 5.6 U/ml (borderline positive). I have hypertension and proteinuria (3g), high serum creatinine (2.4) and UTI. My other autoimmune tests and serum electrophoresis results are negative. What should I do and what is the general prognosis?  Read Full »

I had pain while urinating after unprotected sex. Am I having HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex four months back and after a week I got pain while urinating and greenish fluid came out of the penis. The doctor gave me Doxycycline. Now I checked for HIV. The last test method was HIV 1 and 2 screening test, serum, and HIV 1 and p24 combo. Can I now be relaxed...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Sexologist Now