Q. What can be done for sore swollen area behind the upper last tooth?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I have very sore area behind the last tooth on my upper right side of my mouth. It hurts terribly to chew and swallow because of the location of the soreness. I am 52 years old and never really had problems with my teeth. Also, the area does not look red or has any open sores, just swollen. It started about two days ago.

Do you have a question on Fractured Tooth or Carious Lesions?

Ask a Doctor Now

There are three possibilities about this soreness, either there is some problem with the tooth, may be it is fractured. Secondly, possibility is that you may have got trauma due to biting or food like fish sting stuck there. Third possibility is that due to trauma from biting you may have developed an ulcer.

Now if your tooth is carious, fractured, then you may require antibiotics or it may require to be restored or extracted. If it is irritating mucosa around then we need to contour tooth to relieve area. Third, if there is ulcer then you may require the topical gel for one week. You can send photograph of the area if possible.

Also Read Answers From: Fractured Tooth Carious Lesions

What are the watery bubbles present on either side of my penis?
Query: Hi doctor, I have small watery bubbles on either side of my penis and they seem to have grown in number in the last few weeks. First they appeared around three months back, but very less in number. They do not cause any irritation, but increased in number and looks ugly. I have not used any medicati...  Read Full »
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and can well understand your concern. These lesions (attachment removed to protect patient identity) seem to be those of herpes genitalis.¬†They could have been acquired from your partner. I would advise you to get your HSV IgM and IgG (herpes simp...  Read Full »

The crown and screw came out of my root canal treated tooth 8 days back.When should I visit a dentist?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal done for a tooth, a couple of months ago. My crown came out 8 days back. I did not go back to the dentist, but now a screw came out my tooth. What does this mean? When should I visit a dentist?  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I would like to explain the treatment that has been done to your tooth according to the details provided by you: Your tooth has been root canal treated. Root canal treatment is mostly done to a tooth when the decay has reached the innermost layer of the toot...  Read Full »

Swollen gums with bad smell from drilled teeth.
Query: Hello doctor, My bottom teeth were drilled for a root canal but after drilling doctor told that my teeth have a split and he filled that hole with a cavity. From the past one year, my gum was swollen and bad smell is coming out from that teeth. From the past one month, I have had bumps on my back o...  Read Full »
Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com I have read your complaint and the relevant details. My first question would be did you not visit back the dentist after the filling has been done? Because you are already informed that it has a split deep under which means the treatment cannot be just a filling. I wonde...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now