Q. What can be done for sore swollen area behind the upper last tooth?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I have very sore area behind the last tooth on my upper right side of my mouth. It hurts terribly to chew and swallow because of the location of the soreness. I am 52 years old and never really had problems with my teeth. Also, the area does not look red or has any open sores, just swollen. It started about two days ago.

#

There are three possibilities about this soreness, either there is some problem with the tooth, may be it is fractured. Secondly, possibility is that you may have got trauma due to biting or food like fish sting stuck there. Third possibility is that due to trauma from biting you may have developed an ulcer.

Now if your tooth is carious, fractured, then you may require antibiotics or it may require to be restored or extracted. If it is irritating mucosa around then we need to contour tooth to relieve area. Third, if there is ulcer then you may require the topical gel for one week. You can send photograph of the area if possible.

|