Q. Please give a second opinion regarding my knee surgery.

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I am a 31 year old female. When I met with an accident before six years my left leg below knee got injured and the doctors has done wrong surgery. Please help me.

#

• Please send me details of the accident and the surgery done, so that I can help you further.
  • Please also send me the current x-ray pictures and name of the surgical procedure done.

Revert back with reports and more detailed history to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

For my left leg below knee fracture, I got an operation and due to which my CPN nerve got damaged and my foot part is titled towards the side. After that, I am not able to bend my knee completely and also I am facing problem while walking. But, one of the recent reports showed that the depression which occurring between the knee bone has vanished. But, the doctors said that I has to go through two major surgeries further. One is arthroscopic, for improving my knee condition and another one is plastic surgery, for improving the condition of foot part that is slightly tilted. They also said that the condition of my left leg can only get improved after these surgeries; if there will be enough strength in my CPN nerve. If there is not enough strength in CPN nerve, then the foot can tilt again. Fo the past five years I am facing this problem. I am taking any medicine right now, but sometimes when my foot get swell I will apply some ointment. I have attached the copies of my report. Will I get recover if I go for surgeries? Please guide me. Thank you.

#

• You have a peroneal nerve injury and that is neurotmesis which means that tha nerve is cut completely.
  • Six years from injury the muscles supplied by the CPN will have atrophied, possibly even replaced by fatty tissue.
  • I will recommended the following:
  1. Removal of metalwork from the knee and arthroscopy to assess the articular surface, to do arthrolysis and manipulation of the knee.
  2. MRI of the knee and leg to rule out fatty degeneration and to assess the area of nerve transection.
  3. If any fatty degeneration or large area of nerve damage, then I will recommend muscle transfer or tenodesis (suturing a muscle to bone) rather than nerve repair as this will have a longterm questionable result.
  • Accept this and do Achilles tendon release and use a foot drop splint in the long term.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|