Q. Is my bleeding due to periods or implantation?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Aug 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had my period 15 days after my previous one. Normally, my periods are irregular, they are 10 to 15 days late or sometimes early, but not 15 days after the old one. Is it normal? I did not have sex but was close with my fiance just two days after my previous periods. His penis was on my vaginal part but was not inserted and neither did he ejaculate there, and then I had my periods 15 days after the previous one. I read that implantation bleeding also occurs like the period and is hard to distinguish. My period lasted for 5 to 6 days, and the bleeding was normal. What can be this? Was it a normal period?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As you have described your history that irregular periods are already there. You are a teenager as well could have some irregularities in cycles as the phase of development but continuous irregular cycles need to be investigated actually. Strict diet, strenuous exercise, hormonal imbalance, illness, medications, contraceptives all can delay periods actually. For pregnancy, a single sperm can help to conceive otherwise in case of hormonal imbalance women used to take medications, extra health precautions for years to conceive. So it is luck as well.

For safe side, you can have serum beta hCG (blood pregnancy test) to check your pregnancy status. If it comes negative, then you can have combined oral contraceptive pills cyclically for three months to aid your menstrual imbalance. In case of a negative test of serum beta hCG, you can have a transvaginal scan and on day two periods can have blood tests (serum progesterone, testosterone, insulin, thyroid function test, prolactin), collect all results and can discuss here or with your local gynecologist as per your convenience. Blood pregnancy test will completely guide you correctly.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is bleeding after 10 days of periods normal in a 17-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor,My 17 years old daughter had her periods last month as normal for six days. After 10 days, she suddenly got bleeding again. Apparently, it looks like periods. Is it normal? She had this problem of having her periods occurring quite frequently twice a month, but since last year it was go...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are teenager menstrual cycles. They can have frequent cycles and anovulatory cycles with premenstrual syndrome (having multiple cyclic symptoms near and around periods like abdominal cramps, mood variations, vomitings, nausea, etc. Yes, you should have a check-up ...  Read Full

Why do I have abdominal pain after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex 19 days back. My period is always regular and my expected date was in the first week the following month. I had uneasiness and fatigue by the end of last month. Left side upper abdominal pain started a week back. It comes occasionally and goes on its own. Occasionall...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms appear more of premenstrual syndrome and as you had a day of bleeding with on and off lower abdominal pain off and on. There is likelihood that your menses shall resume again in few days unless you have conceived. Urine pregnancy test is not sensitive...  Read Full

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The normal hCG levels in a singleton pregnancy as follows: At 4-5 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-7000.At 5-6 weeks the HCG level ranges between 200-32,000.At 6-8 weeks the HCG level ranges between 4,000-150,000.In a twin pregnancy, the levels are 30% higher tha...  Read Full