Q. Is it normal for a newborn to have frequent urination with slow increase of body weight?

Dr. Kausalya

My baby is 5 weeks old. He is frequently urinating but slow weight gain. Is my breastfeeding enough for him or not?

#

Frequent urination is because of more of foremilk feeding. Poor weight gain due to hindmilk deficiency. Hindmilk is rich in fat which helps in baby's weight gain. Foremilk contains more of water which makes the baby pass urine frequently. Your feeding has to be assessed. You should feed for at least 15 to 20 minutes. You should put her on next breast only if the first breast completely empties. Follow this advice and recheck weight after one week.

|