Q. Despite using Itch Guard my skin problem has not resolved, why?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

I am a 26 year old male. I am having some allergy or skin disease on the upper part of my penis. Because of my shy feeling, I did not consult any doctor. I am having this almost from one year. I have used Itch Guard but I think it is not working. I am attaching the pictures. Can you give me your advice that would be helpful?

#

I have gone through your pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and I would like to summarize it in pointwise manner. Your lesion gives impression of two diseases. One is fungal and second is eczema. In both the cases, itching persists and looks same as your pictures. Now, to get definite diagnosis as you told us that you are using Itch Guard cream since long time but it is not getting cured. This point goes toward fungal infection. Because in eczema, cream helps but not in fungal infection.

I would like to diagnose it as fungal infection and will treat it accordingly.

• Take Fluconazole 150 mg twice in a week and Ketoconazole cream twice in a day. Same treatment you should continue for at least three weeks.
  • For itching, take antihistaminic tablet Teczine (combination of Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride and Levocetirizine) 10 mg once in night.
  • Keep the area dry and clean. Do not touch it again and again and avoid itching.

|