Q. Despite using Itch Guard my skin problem has not resolved, why?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Jul 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

I am a 26 year old male. I am having some allergy or skin disease on the upper part of my penis. Because of my shy feeling, I did not consult any doctor. I am having this almost from one year. I have used Itch Guard but I think it is not working. I am attaching the pictures. Can you give me your advice that would be helpful?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

I have gone through your pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity) and I would like to summarize it in pointwise manner. Your lesion gives impression of two diseases. One is fungal and second is eczema. In both the cases, itching persists and looks same as your pictures. Now, to get definite diagnosis as you told us that you are using Itch Guard cream since long time but it is not getting cured. This point goes toward fungal infection. Because in eczema, cream helps but not in fungal infection.

I would like to diagnose it as fungal infection and will treat it accordingly.

• Take Fluconazole 150 mg twice in a week and Ketoconazole cream twice in a day. Same treatment you should continue for at least three weeks.
  • For itching, take antihistaminic tablet Teczine (combination of Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride and Levocetirizine) 10 mg once in night.
  • Keep the area dry and clean. Do not touch it again and again and avoid itching.

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Permethrin is fine, but Fluconazole and Ketoconazole have no role in scabies. Permethrin has to be applied two times, one week apart and every member of the family should apply it at the same time.Leave the furniture and mobile as it is, as transmission rarely occurs thro...  Read Full

Can Hydrozole be used for jock itch?

Query: Hi doctor, I had jock itch two months ago for the very first time. It is still there but fading. I started using Hydrozole cream two weeks ago, it seems to be working. How long it would take for a complete cure? After using this cream I fell some itch in legs. Now the groin skin appears red and ver...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hydrozole (combination of Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole) cream contains steroid and should not be used as a treatment for jock itch (fungal infection of the groin). You will experience temporary relief while using it but your condition will aggravate once you stop using...  Read Full