Q. I am suffering from itchy scalp and hands after getting my puppy treated for ringworm. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I am a healthy 60-years-old woman suffering from an extremely itchy, scabby, sore scalp after my puppy was treated for ringworm two months ago. I did not notice it too much until a few weeks ago, and it is gotten slowly worse. I looked online this morning and did not realize it can affect the scalp. I have a few itchy spots on my hand, but the back of my neck has gotten worse too. It is very itchy, and the skin has broken down (unfortunately, I cannot see it). I have tried topical antifungals, antibiotic cream, topical Hydrocortisone 1%, and it is not resolving. Please help.

I am 5'11," and my weight is 220 lbs, no known allergies, on no medicines other than daily Vitamin C, turmeric, and low dose Aspirin. I would like to see if I can get an oral antifungal and antibiotic if possible.

Thank you in advance.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Yes, it can be due to a fungal infection, or else other reason can be due to allergies because, as you mentioned, it is itchy and dry. I would request you to send a picture of spots you have on hand so I can check and prescribe you ointment accordingly. For tablets, I would suggest you take:

Tablet cetirizine 10 mg once a day after meal for five days.

Tablet Dexamethasone 10 mg once a day after meal for five days.

Please use anti-dandruff shampoo for hair.

Wash them regularly.

Keep applying ointment as you are using now (Hydrocortisone)

Are you allergic to any anti-fungal medicine?

Is there any discharge from the spots?

Allergies, infection.

CBC (complete blood count).

Fungal infection.

Itching, rashes, dry scalp.

Tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once daily.
Tablet Dexamethasone 10 mg once daily for five days.

Thank you doctor.

I am not allergic to any medicines, and there is no discharge from the affected areas. Attached you will see a typical spot on my hand and the back of my neck, which shows that area and the itchy spots in my hair. I do not suffer from allergies, so I think this is all related to my puppy's ringworm.

#

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through the pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and it is more likely a fungal infection, more likely eczema only, so I would suggest you continue with the treatment I prescribed previously.

And take tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once a week for four weeks.

Apply ointment Beclomethasone and Clotrimazole 0.1% three times a day on rashes.

In case if they ask prescription, you can show our message or tell them you had online consultation.

Please let me know your condition after one week.

If it still continues, I will go for further testing.

If anything else, please let me know

|